Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Summer Camp!

 Aye! The stress of the online everyone-sign-up-at-once BYU camps!
Refreshing the page over and over until a spot opens up and you can grab it.
Reminds me of when we'd call the radio station to win something and have to dial, get a busy signal, hang up and dial again. Over and over and over.

I got an e-mail from BYU a few weeks ago that they're doing sports camps this summer.
Wait, what? Is the world going to be back to normal soon? Yippee!

Unfortunately, Nick didn't want to do lacrosse camp. Or any camp really.
I found some other groups offering camps that looked cool -- Visions has some stateside programs.
But he wasn't excited about going away for three weeks. And neither of us were excited about out of the country programs this year.

Then yesterday I got a follow-up e-mail about other BYU camps like ACT camp, dance camp and other programs of no interest to Nick. And then I saw EFY. 
Which is weird because they stopped doing that two years ago. 

But as I read closer discovered they were offering "Adventure For Youth" in one-week sessions.
And Nick wanted to sign up.

I'd missed early registration and general registration was today. And it didn't tell me what time it opened up. So beginning at 6:00 a.m. I was checking my computer to see if registration was open. 
Again at 7:00. Then at 8:00 the screen changed to "register" links so Nick's friend's mom and I (frantic texting) thought it was starting, but after 15 minutes of not allowing us to click the link but refreshing and trying again anyway, I finally found a redirect that told me it would open at 9:00 a.m.

So at 8:58 I got on the computer and started refreshing the page like crazy. 
I got a camp spot, but each page  in the registration process would give me an error and not let me progress. I'm sure all the traffic was breaking down their site. 

Meanwhile I was texting Nick's friend's mom to see if she was getting in. At first she didn't, but then she did and she actually got through the registration process about a minute before I did.
My heart is pounding, I had nervous jitters and was in a panic to try to get a spot!
Any mom who has done this before totally relates!

This big race was over in seven minutes. But we both got in! 
Yay! And Nick is super excited.
Like I got a text after I told him that said, "Yay! Did Luke get it too?" And when I said yes,
"Sweet I'm excited." Um... from my teenager. That's big stuff!

  I'm excited that he has something to look forward to this summer away from home.

He's also applying for a job at Park City that he got excited about last night.
And while I'm talking about him, he got straight A's again last term. 



No comments: