Saturday, October 10, 2020

Saturday is a Special Day

While Dan and Nick were at the track, I had a big yard day.

First, I planted 75 daffodils here.


And here.
It took several hours because the ground was pretty hard in a lot of places.
But I listened to a few All In episodes which were inspiring, the weather was warm and it was lovely being outside. So it didn't feel like work at all.


And some old bulbs I found in the garage here.
Not sure if they'll come up or not, but the ground was soft, and I dumped 6-10 in each hole,
so it wasn't a lot of extra work.


I'm loving how this side of the fence looks in Fall.


Next I had a lot of pruning to do in the garden. I was tempted to cut out whole zucchini and squash plants (they're pretty covered in powdery mildew anyway), but I couldn't sacrifice the few small zucchinis and squash that were still growing. So I just trimmed them back a lot.

We had the perfect amount of each this year. I successfully harvested them before they got huge, except for one or two. So we always had plenty to eat and plenty of extra. But I never felt like we were swimming in it like last year. (Mostly owing to the gigantic size they kept growing to and so I could never go through it fast enough.)

Still can't figure out the tomatillos though. Lots are on the plant but most aren't very big. Maybe I need to prune those better next year.

And we still have tons of green tomatoes. The heirloom plant never had any go red. 

'
(Oh wow, I just remembered how this time of year we filled up trash can upon trash can of chestnuts and husks from the tree at Wander Lane! I'm so glad we don't have that endless fall chore anymore!!)



Then I clipped away all the summer plantings in several pots and planted sone mums and fall flowers.
Also tried to figure out the water system which is a small spray but may also be a drip.



Marty and Lizzie stayed the weekend and while Lizzie was gone getting her hair done, 
Marty was working on homework.
As evidenced by the hundred foot internet cable winding down the attic stairs, 
around the hall and into his room.


I also decorated for Halloween, which I'm actually not ready for this year.
I'm still enjoying the sweetness of the colors and feel of fall. 
Not ready to add black and spooky to the mix.
But with Halloween only three weeks away, it was time.

And you know what this is? The start of Christmas.


No comments: