Sunday, October 04, 2020

General Conference Weekend

Great weekend hearing uplifting messages in conference. 
Most often I was thinking of Chris watching.
I loved that several speakers said "thank you" to all the missionaries who have served despite 
unusual circumstances, being called home, those who have had to stay indoors, and those who were reassigned. I hope Christopher heard their gratitude and recognition 
that missionaries are doing hard things.

Marty and Lizzie came to watch with us on Saturday -- we haven't seen them in a few weeks!
And on Sunday after the first session, Nick left to Lake Powell. 
Wow! Just me and Dan for the next three days!

Friday night Dan and I started watching The Chosen. 
We watched the first episode because we'd heard good things about it and were curious.
And we binge watched three more episodes that night because it's so incredibly good.

Only the first season is out -- eight episodes. 
I am not a fan of the Jesus portrayed in our Church's New Testament videos.
I mostly don't like that he talks in an affected whisper voice. Not only is it annoying, 
it just doesn't ring true to me.

But The Chosen. Wow. Absolutely incredible. 
The writers have created back stories to the characters -- 
mainly Simon, Matthew, Mary Magdalene and Nicodemus. 
But the stories are founded in scriptures -- just filling in what we don't know. 

Created, directed and written by an evangelical man and his wife, with a Jewish Rabbi on set as a consult and an evangelical professor and Catholic father discussing how the narrative coincides with their beliefs
(in a behind the scenes roundtable discussion). Everything is so good.

I love historical fiction and these stories, the production, music, and acting are all done so well.
Do yourself a favor, pop some popcorn and settle in for some movie nights.
You're going to love it.


While we were watching conference, Tyler the tree guy, was up cabling one of our trees that wants to fall.



Dan and I took a bike ride to enjoy the great weather.


1 comment:

CarolF said...

The Chosen is so good!!!!! I understand that feeling of wanting to watch them end-on-end. Conference was completely amazing!!!