Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Last Minute Trip to... Oakley

Talk about last minute! Sunday night we scoured VRBO for a place to rent for a trip.
We wanted to go close to Jordanelle so we could go boating each day, but I wanted something with a yard so we could be outside (not just on a patio) when we were at home. 

This home with a fish pond sealed the deal. Fortunately by the time we contacted the owner on Monday morning, she was still willing to rent it to us same day! 
We were just dying to see something different than the same walls we've been seeing since March. 
Nick had already made plans to hang out with a friend that day (thinking we wouldn't be leaving until the next day), so he invited that friend to join us. And then another friend called, so he invited him along too. 

I took Courtney to the airport at 12:30. And Clara was having an issue getting a medication she needed, so it took us longer than we hoped to leave the house.
I usually like to sit down and make a list of groceries, but Dan reminded me we could just buy them there like we do when we go to Pagosa -- or any trip, for that matter.
In the end, I just loaded up stuff to make dinner from the pantry 
and sandwich supplies and we were set. I already had tons of snacks we'd intended to take to Lake Powell. So we threw those in too.

The beautiful home surrounded by pastures.

We made a quick stop at Walmart to buy a few fishing poles, 
and Dan got the boys set up when we arrived.





Nick found a pogo stick in the garage. A couple of skateboards too.


We went to Polar King for burgers and shakes for dinner.
Then read and hot tubbed before bed.
The boys have air hockey and foosball to play -- and of course cards and x-box.
Even a bunk room to sleep in.

The family room and kitchen are a very similar layout to our new ranch in Pagosa, 
and I found a tape measure in the kitchen. 
So I've been measuring and thinking of what I can copy! 
The depth and length of the couches and the size of the family room is perfect.


The next morning we got up early to get on the water while it was still glassy.
After four tries, I finally got up on the ski! 
(Remember I didn't get up at all last year? Yea, so do I. It's burned in my brain.)
I switched up my grip on the 4th try 
--which I am no-lie going to attribute to the Holy Ghost whispering to me what to do. 
Because I was praying like crazy. And what's important to me, is important to God.
(Except when praying for babies to sleep through the night. 
Because we know THAT prayer never gets answered.)





 We came off the lake when we were all starving, (we'd skipped breakfast and now it was lunchtime),
and came home for breakfast burritos. 
Then Will practiced his cello. What a setting to do your practicing! 


And after the boys rode bikes to get closer to the horses to pet them and feed them apples.



And Dan tried fishing.


And in the evening, we ordered pizza, took it with us back to the lake, and ate it on the boat while we waited for the wind to die down. Then from 8-9:30 we surfed and power boarded until dark.



By the way, Nick's getting pretty good at driving the boat. 
He even parked it in the slip in the morning when it wasn't too crowded! 




No comments: