Sunday, May 05, 2019

I Know the Scriptures are True

On Tuesday when Chris didn't get his mission call, I wondered how he was feeling. He was going to text us if he heard something (usually between 9:15 and 9:45 a.m.) By 11:30 we hadn't heard anything from him. I was reading my scriptures and came to a verse that jumped out at me. Sometimes you know the scriptures are talking to you.

D&C 21:5 "For his word he shall receive as if by mine own mouth in all patience and faith."

So I texted him... 
Me: Did you get anything?
Chris: Nope
Me: Are you feeling ok?
Chris: Yeah I'm fine, just really wanting to know.
Me: Totally. You're patience is def being tested. And I'm proud of how you're handling it. (I guess a broken femur is worse.) When I was reading my scriptures today, I read this and it made me think of you: (it's referring to the prophet when it says "his") D&C 21:5 "For his word he shall receive as if by mine own mouth in all patience and faith."
Chris: Thanks mom I appreciate that text 💛

Almost a year ago when Courtney had to move from her apartment, this scripture jumped out at me in my reading and I knew it was for Courtney I posted about it here and here

2 Nephi 2:2 "...thou knowest the greatness of God; 
and he shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain."

The first scripture that really meant something to me was when I was so lonely the Spring after my Freshman year of college. I was very dedicated about reading and one day one scripture made a deep impression on me -- I knew it was Heavenly Father talking to me:

D&C 24:8 "Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many, but endure them, 
for lo I am with you even unto the end of my days."

It still makes me teary when I read it because I can feel Heavenly Father's love for me personally, as strong now as when I first read it.

Today was such a nice, relaxing day:

Shorts and hammock reading and nap.
Inspirational book.
New corn hole that Nick "painted" with cool new spray chalk.



Marty taught Chris' friends group mission prep tonight
and had them start by singing "Elders of Israel."
They're asking him all sorts of EXCELLENT questions right now.
And he has AWESOME answers.
We are sitting at the kitchen table eavesdropping and I'm loving listening in!

Marty and Chris also taught mission prep this morning at our Stake Mission Prep and had the class role play teaching the Plan of Salvation. 

Tres Leches cake for dessert. Happy Cinco de Mayo! (Fajitas for dinner -- after Fast Sunday!)

No comments: