Sunday, September 30, 2018

Kavanaugh and Ford

All this discussion of Kavanaugh and Ford has been running through my mind 
as I try to sort out my feelings. I think I've nailed it down:

1) Being controlled by a person is scary and upsetting. And it's not something you just brush off.
The discovery that someone who is stronger than you can hold you against your will is traumatizing. 
In college one of my boyfriends held me in front of the water slide splash zone at an amusement park. I didn't want to get wet and I told him so. He just laughed and continued holding me by the arms.
I got soaked. Was it the end of the world? No.
But I've never forgotten that feeling of someone forcing me to do something I didn't want to do.
It made me really mad at him.
I find the thought of taking that a step further and covering your mouth so you can't scream disturbing. It's not okay. No means no -- in whatever situation.

2) I believe people need to have the chance to change. We have all done something or acted in a way that we regret later. And those actions don't have to define who we are now. 

3) However, when you take away someone's free agency, they decide if they will forgive you or not. They can choose to hold you accountable. Regardless if you've changed or not. It's now their choice.

4) Also, the Word of Wisdom can save us from ourselves. It's a blessing.

At church in Sunday School our teacher showed the new church video on suicide.
What I really liked about it was that it was clear that sometimes all the expectations we put on our youth (or anyone) can feel overwhelming. Struggling to do all the things we're "supposed" to be doing can lead to feelings of despair and hopelessness. These feelings can lead to guilt and shame.
Those feelings can lead to depression and suicidal thoughts. 
50% of kids experience suicidal thoughts. Choose to Stay. It gets better.


No comments: