Sunday, September 02, 2018

Back in the Swing of Things

The beginning of school has always been busy, busy, busy. I remember waaaayyyy back when Courtney started Kindergarten and Marty was in preschool and I was in Primary and the first of the year back then included back to school night, back to school parties, fundraiser planning meetings, church activities, newsletters to write etc. etc. etc. Whew! And waaaayyy back then I told my friend, "The beginning of school I'm always stressed, but it gets easier in just a few weeks. I hang onto that."

And each year is the same. Labor Day is timed perfectly. We've gotten back in a rhythm, but it's so nice to have a little gift of a Monday to sleep in and rest from the busy-ness of the last two weeks.

Happenings:
Elections & Dog Bites
Nick made it to the Finals in the election! But lost to his friend, our old next-door-neighbor, Luke. Later that day he got bit by his friend's dog and had to go to Instacare. Talk about a bad day getting worse!! He handled his disappointment from losing well and was a good sport. And he handled his dog bite bravely. Our Instacare doc was a little curt. But the nurse was delightful as she cleaned his puncture wound, bandaged it and gave us all the instructions we needed. That TLC was just what we needed on a rough day.

We chose to wait to take the antibiotics to see if he would need them or not. (C-diff PTSD.) But the next day I saw a red line traveling up his arm. I immediately picked up my purse and headed to the pharmacy with the prescription. Better now.

Student Section, Tailgating & Togas
Chris has embraced his official duties over tailgating and school spirit in the student section with style. Dan and EC went to a game and got a kick out of the baby powder explosion covering the kids (a tradition for the blackout game). The football team has demolished their opponents so far.





Chris hosted another party at the house on Saturday. Probably over 150 kids in our yard. Cars lining our street and the surrounding ones. We spied from our bedroom window. It was loud. Our neighbors are kind. Dan was a little panicked, but I reminded him this stage doesn't last forever, and we watched a show to distract us. By 11:45 they shut the party down. Chris and his friends are super reliable!




Lacrosse Season
Lacrosse season for Nick has begun. I love this crabapple tree where I drop off Nick and his carpool to practice. Brings back lots of memories of Michelle and I playing in the crabapple tree!


Michelle & Morgan Back to BYU
Michelle and Morgan stayed with us this week. Michelle and Morgan drove from Chicago to bring Morgan back to BYU. Michelle and I took a hike up Pipeline Trail one morning and to the temple another morning. So fun being together!



Young Women
I've enjoyed my calling in Young Women. It's been a lot of getting organized so far, but we've had a few activities that I've gotten to know the girls -- boating with the Young Men and Young Women at Jordanelle was a highlight. We had a leader's retreat at a cabin (I was the first to bed at 1:45!!). Lots and lots of meetings for planning. I taught a lesson for back to school to the combined group and I'm looking forward to learning how to teach Youth.

Clara
Tuesdays I spend time with 92-year-old Clara in our ward. We run errands and go for a walk in the mall or around her complex. She's full of energy and delightful to be with. If I'm running late, she always understands. Dan was her home teacher in the 28th ward and then the boundaries changed and she was moved to a new ward. Dan helped her through a brain bleed and some difficult family issues years ago through blessings, rides and love. I occasionally gave her rides as well. Now in our new ward we meet again and I've loved being able to help when I can. We made a standing appointment for Tuesday afternoons. 

Homework and Goals
I LOVE my online writing class! My assignment that I thought was due this Wednesday was actually due last Tuesday but he gave us until today to submit, since most people misunderstood. It's been a lot of work, but I've written the first chapter of my book! I imagine it has a lot of tweaks and changes to go through, but the idea is there! I'm so happy! It's been great fun, a big challenge, and awesome to have the feedback I've received from my class.

No comments: