Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Discoveries

Today after he did his practicing, Nick told me he prefers the clarinet to the saxophone. When I asked why, he said he prefers playing classical over Jazz. I asked if he thought he'd still like to take both instruments. Yes, for now. But if he quits saxophone, he said he wants to take up piano again so that he still plays two. Interesting. As he was walking away he said, "It's so weird how I wanted to play saxophone so bad but now that I got a chance to play it, I don't like it as much as clarinet."

Chris was excited to tell me about an experience he had at school. He said he was late for seminary so he was walking over by himself. As he crossed the street, a lady yelled from her car, "Joseph Smith was a liar! He lied to everyone!" Chris yelled back, "Screw you!"

Of course my first reaction was, "Chris! Geez!" But he said, "No, listen. There's more."

"After I yelled I wondered if I would get points for defending Joseph Smith or lose points for yelling that. And I really wasn't sure what the right thing was. And then in seminary in our regular scripture reading, my prayer was answered! Our teacher told us to turn to D&C (I can't remember where) and here was the scripture (reads it to us, but I don't have exact scripture) something about defending Joseph Smith!"

Nick interjects:"Well maybe you can defend him but not in such a fierce way."
Chris: "No, that's my answer! I did the right thing!"

What I learned is that my teenager does have a conscience. That he does want to do what's right. Sometimes he makes mistakes, but he feels bad about it after. And that he discovered the scriptures can give us answers. I'm pretty happy. He is a teenager after all.

No comments: