Saturday, September 29, 2018

30 Years??!!

I debated whether to go or not, but after a good nap after getting home from our YW retreat, I knew I'd just waste time if I sat home. So I dragged myself out of bed and got ready for my 
30th High School Reunion. 

Before
After
I saw a good friend right when I walked in and the two of us had fun visiting with people that I'm not sure if I ever talked to while I was in high school. Of course we saw good friends too and enjoyed catching up. But I was really struck with us sitting at a table all together now, the stereotypes from high school long gone. It was kind of Breakfast Clubby -- a partier guy, a shy girl, two "molly Mormons" (as I was once called) and a basketball player. Now we were simply a group of 48-year-olds. We all loved our kids, we were proud of them and we worried about them. We worked hard and felt successful. We were all there because we cared about each other. Why else would someone come to a reunion? No one was there to show off. We're too old for that. We just wanted to make connections and feel connected. That made us the same...and unique. 

Lots of good friends. Not the table we sat at later.
Friday night we met at a restaurant and Saturday night we met again at a park. I was glad to have a couple of chances to visit with even more people. But I asked about one friend who another woman said she'd reconnected with recently. Why wasn't she there? She said she didn't want to come because she'd never married, was living at home caring for her mom and was overweight. I wanted to drive straight to her house and hug her. No one was comparing. No one was judging. Everyone loved each other. Coming would probably have actually made her feel better. To remind her she was loved and cared about. Even by strangers. I wish I could save the world.

Beautiful sky on the way to the reunion!
While I was at my reunion Friday night, Dan and Nick were at a late night Go Kart party! 
They stayed until 1:00 a.m.!


And Chris had a football game to cheer on and then invited everyone (the entire football crowd)
over to a party at our house.

Saturday we went back to Heber for Nick's lacrosse game. It's been a Heber/Midway week!


No comments: