Saturday, July 23, 2022

Aix-en-Provence



The boys were up and at ‘em early headed to Paul Ricard Circut, and I am also headed out early for market day in Aix. 


The trek to the main center felt a little shorter than yesterday now that I’m more familiar with the town. 
But still the same sensation of walking down empty streets than cross a narrow street and notice people in the distance. Follow the people, round a corner and 
suddenly you’re in a busy, crowded market!

I found the flower market first, and a few blocks later the food market. 






Then wound my way through lots of storefronts and shopping until I came to Cours Mirabeau—a main road lined with clothes, textiles, some antiques, and purses. I sure wish I knew if anyone could use a purse. Only 43 Euros for a small purse I spent $200 on last Spring! 


I walked to the end and back, then bravely decided to buy a skirt that I may never wear, but for 25 E I’m diving into the experience rather than my usual second guessing and not buying anything while I’m abroad “because what if I don’t like it when I’m home. And it’s too hard to try on and it probably won’t fit me and what if I can’t comminicate properly etc etc etc.” 
When I didn’t give myself all those outs, I ended up buying a cute t-shirt too. 

And with my new found confidence for the day, I bought fruit and nuts at the market for lunch. 
A delicious — so delicious! almond pan a chocolate at the cutest bakery, and even bought nougat!


Now who eats nougat? Its so gross. I’m sure I had a bite of a Big Hunk when I was seven and never wanted to try it again. 
But I was so curious seeing the nougat shop about why is this still made and who eats it!
Later I walked past the same shop and the sweetest girl was giving samples. So I tried one. And guess what? It’s delicious! It’s like soft taffy with nuts! And at this artisan shop was made only with honey, no sugar. 

Me and the girl became best friends as she let me try as many flavors as I wanted
(If arranged marriages were still a thing I think I’d have signed her up for Chris on the spot—she was that darling), and I ended up buying three different kinds. 
(Devoured most of the raspberry flavor while writing this.)
Nougat?! Who knew?!



I happened upon an art store and also went in to admire some work. Ended up buying a couple small pieces, one of which I recognized that I’d taken my photo in front of the fountain in the picture earlier in the day at the textile market. 


Considering one of the next two as well for New York. 




Had fun wandering streets until I made my way back to the food market. 





Did a good job figuring out change and not chickening out while buying fruit and nuts for lunch. And sucre almonds and sesame sucre almonds for dessert. (And nougat.) The only thing I wasn’t brave enough to pull the trigger on was cheese. 

I sampled one and didn’t like it. And the likelihood of me choosing another goat cheese seemed high. And trying to ask for cow instead of goat seemed too hard. 

Walked up the hill to home just after 1:00 and sat on my patio for lunch. 


And sat at the pool the rest of the afternoon into the evening. Wish I had a picture of my tomato and burratta salad for dinner. It was heavenly. Garden tomatoes, soft burratta with pesto, French butter and salt. Yum. 

At the pool I had a very sophisticated couple on my left. Think the main boss in Emily in Paris. 
Across the pool a French couple was literally doing yoga, including cat-cows, which didn’t seem super appropriate but instantly put me at ease. (They later moved next to me and they did more stretching and then her husband cradled her in his arms for a long time. I’ve decided they were on their honeymoon.)

A Texas couple was on my right and didn’t even try to talk in their “we know another language” Spanish accent like we do most of the time while traveling abroad. 

And a toddler jumped to his dad from the side of the pool. I’m liking this place more and more now that I’m getting to know the other guests and they’re not hoity-toity at all. 









 

No comments: