Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Disappointed

 President Holland gave a talk to faculty and staff at BYU this week. 
I heard about it on social media because of the disappointment it stirred up.

I love President Holland. 
And I love BYU.

But I was confused and dismayed by an analogy that was getting talked about.
I felt so distressed I listened to the talk and yes, was left feeling even more disappointed.

I'm trying to write my feelings--but I have so many thoughts ping-ponging through my head about
so many different things he said, it's hard to process. And hard to reconcile how I feel about it.

I love President Holland, but I don't agree with what he said. Is that ok?

Are symbols showing support to LGTBQ bad?
Or do they just say, "we hear you." And "you have a safe space here."

The letter of a father placing blame for his daughter's disillusionment with the Church
on the influence of her professors. It's the father's opinion. 
Reminds me of the time our bishop said we couldn't speak to friends in the chapel anymore because he received a disgruntled letter from an investigator about our ward's lack of reverence.

Taking one person's opinion and forming a standard based off of it seems dangerous.

The reference to muskets needed to defend the Proclamation to the Family against same-sex marriage
was a poorly chosen one when that reference implies using muskets against people.

And calling out the valedictorian who came out in his commencement speech felt so harsh.
Of course I agree with that Jesus loves the sinner but doesn't condone the sin.
But in the context of his talk it sounded like he was saying just being gay is a sin. 
It's not. It's not a choice.

I think President Holland is one of the most sensitive voices among the general authorities.
He's always been so sympathetic to the frailties of humanity. I love him. I love the Church. 
But I think what he said hurts.


No comments: