Friday, December 04, 2020

Getting It Done

I am loving my writing class and so giddy at the progress I'm making on my book. I've been getting responses from my second Workshop piece (one chapter) and the feedback from my teacher and classmates has been so helpful, supportive and motivating to continue! Part of me wishes I could just carry my computer with me all day and work on it whenever I wanted. I love it.

This week's lecture focused on questions we had about getting into the business. Here's the advice from our teacher (who has published two books): 

Hi! Thank you for your great questions. The answer to all of them is: 
KEEP YOUR BUTT IN THE CHAIR AND FINISH YOUR BOOK. 


Last time the most common comment was I needed to develop more of a sense of place (more description of surroundings and sensory description). So in this next chapter I worked on adding those details and asked them to comment. Everyone submits a whole page of comments in an attachment, but these were the e-mail notes accompanying the attachment.

Angela,

Loved this. Yes, the feeling of place was quite clear. I felt like their grief was palpable.

Sheryl


Hi Angela,

Great job! You're really cooking in these pages (that's difficult to say when it's about a family's collective trauma but.... ya know what I mean).

Thanks for sharing!

Tierney 


Hi Angela,
I loved this! Here's my feedback.
Anne


Hi! Your sense of place is SPOT on and the details are impeccable! 
Thank you for sharing this!
Jacqui


See why it makes me feel so motivated to keep my butt in the chair?! I've also reached out to a few classmates to see if they want to be in a writer's group together to bounce ideas off each other and get continued feedback. Two have already said yes and they are as excited as I am about it!

No comments: