Monday, October 07, 2019

Places to Explore

There's a path by a canal at the end of a street near me.
Up until recently I didn't dare to walk along it not knowing if it was "neighbors only" or not.
Then I remembered to ask my friend who lives there now and grew up in the same neighborhood.
She assured me it was intended for neighborhood walkers.

A few months ago Dan and I gave it a try.
We had to walk on a narrow board to get around the gated fence (prohibiting car traffic).
The path along the canal was wide and Kershaw loved it. 
There were little bridges to some people's homes, gates for others to access, and two different homes with lakes in their backyards. It was all very adventurous!

But the most exciting feature of all was this water system!
The river that flows behind our home and the canal from our walk intersect here.
It was unexpected and something about the engineering and water and surprise
make it feel extra special. And that it was probably built in the 70's gives it a very 
retro, take me back to exploring as a child, "Stand By Me," vibe.

Kershaw and I walked past it again today. He used to be afraid of navigating the narrow board and the metal bridge and the gap between, but now he's got it all figured out.



Also, THIS TREE!


No comments: