Sunday, January 31, 2021

Differences Highlight Our Similarities

 I received an e-mail from an old friend--Courtney's California piano teacher--sharing an opportunity to watch a virtual concert benefitting the community theater she started in 2005, 
They've performed some amazing musicals!

I always admired Margy and her talent, but we were permanently bonded as she's the one who arrived at our home at 7:00 a.m. on September 11, 2001 for Courtney's lesson, telling us of the attack she'd just heard about on her car radio. While she taught Courtney, I watched the news, keeping her updated when the towers fell. We say hi on Facebook every Sept. 11 and remember.

I love musical theater, so was excited to learn more about her venture.
Primarily, though, I wondered why the Orthodox Jewish community "needed" an all women cast and even more curious, only women in the audience. 
I researched and learned that Orthodox Jews believe men can't hear women sing. 
We had the following fun exchange -- it seems to me that learning we all have differences in culture, community, religion makes us seem more alike.

If you want to watch and/or donate, follow the link above. 
Performances are March 5 and 6.


Margy,
This is so cool! I didn’t know you’d started such an amazing opportunity for Jewish women! I LOVE musical theater.
If you’re ever in Utah, (aside from visiting me!) you’ll have to visit Hale Center Theater. It was started by a family as community theater years ago and has grown to be a premier theater experience in our area. It’s so wonderful you’re doing something so awesome!  I just donated $100 and look forward to watching the event and YOU!

I enjoyed getting online and learning more about why a women’s theater was needed for Orthodox Jewish women.
I’m not sure if you remember, but I’m religious too. Its so easy to look at “rules” that other people adhere by and think they sound strange. Or even besmirch their affiliation for what we don’t understand. But I suspect you’re like me, my religion and faith is important to me. I know it doesn’t always make sense to people who only hear one aspect that seems different, but when you’ve studied or experienced the goodness of God, you know and I know, that following these rules/laws/commandments/recommendations actually bless us in a myriad of ways! 

Congratulations on such a successful venture that brings joy to so many people! You are so talented! I’m glad we’re still in touch!
Much love,
Angela


Hi Angela! 
Thank you SOOOO much for your donation!! I didn't know you were such a huge fan of musical theater like me. If I ever get to Utah, I will definitely visit the Hale Center, which sounds amazing. (Of course, that would be AFTER I visited you.  😄)

I had forgotten that you're religious but of course once you mentioned it I remembered. And I completely relate to being a part of a group that has rules that others find strange!! Sometimes I look around my synagogue (pre-Covid, of course!) and think about how much people would laugh at some of our rituals if they just walked in off the street. But I love our traditions, and I'm sure that you do, too! 

I also love that we're still in touch, and I'm SO excited that you're going to watch our show. If there's one benefit to this pandemic, it's that we're doing everything online this year and friends who live out of town can still watch!

- Margy

No comments: