Friday, June 21, 2019

Tuesday

Tuesday, Day 3:
Dan and I went on a short mountain-bike ride. (To the sign towards the Falls.) I vented about the horse incident the whole time. One point the neighbor had said several times, "The horses are my life's work! I've dedicated my life to them." What I realized later and why I was still so upset was that the boys are also my livelihood! I've dedicated my whole life to raising and caring for them. So I am also upset when someone comes barging in and accusing them.

Also I had to walk up the small hills because I can't raise my heart rate too high so my pulled tooth can heal. (Doctor's orders.)

Morning exercises

Jam Session


Spike Ball for Dayysss...

... and the ring and hook game.
Dan had to go out to understand the water ditches and irrigation from the same neighbor who got mad at us yesterday. I stayed back since clearly an adult was needed at all times. Just as I sat down at the table with my book and my magazine, Chris' group decided they wanted to go to the store. One group headed up the hill in the jeep just as it began to thunder. A couple more pulled out in the Mule just as it started to rain. Marty and his friends were playing Spike Ball in the yard. The Mule backed up past them, then made a sharp turn to go up the hill and it rolled. I watched as Austin tumbled out and Luke tumbled out on top of him. From my distance, I couldn't tell if it had rolled on top of him.

I've told the story so many times I can't tell it again. Suffice it to say Austin wasn't breathing (now we know the wind had been knocked out of him). When the boys sat him up, from the tortured look on his face, I imagined him to be crushed and fully expected him to start spewing blood. Marty and his friends beat me to him and fully expected to have to give him CPR. I ran back and called 9-1-1. The boys got him out of the rain. He started breathing again and could move his legs, just not his back. Instead of waiting for the ambulance to come to us, I took him to the hospital with Luke and I had Marty drive. Austin had CT scans and x-rays. We shed tears. And then the doctor announced that all was clear -- no breaks, just strains and sprains. What a sigh of relief from all of us!

Funny story, after we got the all-clear, Austin asked me to take a photo with him giving the "thumbs-up" to send to his my mom to let her know he was ok. I took the photo, but told him I wouldn't send it to his mom because this pic would definitely NOT make her feel better!

When we got discharged, I sent the boys home in the truck (Marty picked it up from town -- remember yesterday's flat tire?) and I took the other car so I could pick up the prescribed Ibuprofen and ice packs from Walmart. While there, the pharmacy tech told me the wait would be about 30 min. I asked if I could sit in the little cordoned off immunization spot for some privacy. "I'm emotionally spent," I said, and then I started to cry. She was very sweet and of course they let me sit in a private corner.

Taking advantage of a rain storm and muddy, marshy terrain on the new property.




Miles made a mini potato launcher. It worked well as a "baby carrot launcher."
 Every night three or four boys were assigned to clean up. They all happily took their turns.
Clean-up Crew




No comments: