Friday, June 21, 2019

Pagosa Re-Cap

Sunday, Day 1:
We arrived after dark and went directly to camp to visit with Jo and Kory for a few minutes. Then headed to our rented cabins on the hill. They are tiny and comfy. Chris' friends arrived right after but we couldn't get their cabins open. This caused a lot of frustration until we figured out we were reading the code wrong. Happily, we got everyone inside and went to bed. Marty and friends arrived around midnight.

Monday, Day 2:
Look how beautiful!


Dan had to deal with the flat flat flat tire on the truck. He thought it would take about 10 minutes to change, but the wheel wouldn't budge. More frustration. He and I went to meet Jo and Kory for breakfast (Thanks guys!) and then show them around the new property before they left for home. Mid morning we got moved out of the cabins and into camp. Dan had to hang out at the cabins waiting for AAA to help with the tire.


Marty and friends headed off on a mountain bike ride. Chris and Nick and friends rode ATV's over to the new property. Soon Dan arrived and thanks to a YouTube video and the help of the friendly caretaker at the cabins, was able to get the tire off and a spare on. (The tires on F350s are apparently notoriously difficult to remove. So much so that someone made a YouTube video about it!)

Leaving the boys to explore and get moved in to Tres Amigos, Dan and I headed to town to drop off the truck to fix the flat and rotate tires. To pick up the FJ from the repair shop. To wait at the police station for a VIN check on the new cars so we could register them. To wait at the Pagosa Springs DMV to register the vehicles only to find out we have to go to another county. Finally finished, I dropped Dan off at the police station to drive the FJ back to camp and left to buy groceries. A few minutes later Dan called me to come back because he'd left the keys in my car. I turned around and gave him the keys, THEN finally went shopping. Just as I was finishing, he called to say the car was either out of gas or broken down. Miraculously in a magic spot that he had cell service!

Inspiration at the police station
Just as I was loading the car, he called back to say the repair shop guy was coming to help. I met them on the dirt road where they realized it wasn't a gas issue. So together they were waiting for a tow truck.

View from the rear-view mirror

As I was unloading the groceries, hot, dirty, tired with loads of food to put away, yet happy to finally be back at camp and ready to relax and enjoy the beauty, a very angry neighbor showed up to complain about ATV's, boys, horses and donuts on motorized vehicles. I accompanied her to the property where all 19 boys were spread across the hills playing a huge game of Steal the Flag.

I hated that she made me stop their game so she could lecture them. I hated that she wanted to yell instead of problem-solve. I hated that she was exaggerating the situation. I hated that she was looking for reasons to continue being mad. I liked that I told her these were good boys who would never intentionally hurt someone or animals. I liked that I didn't feel mad at the boys but knew this was a misunderstanding. I hated that I didn't trust if I asked the boys to tell their side of the story, she would actually listen, so we just had to let her rant and apologize. I hate when people won't give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I loved that we had a delicious dinner afterward to feed our troops bodies and spirits.



Dan went to visit with the neighbor himself and re-apologize. She sent him home with a dozen fresh eggs.

No comments: