Saturday, April 14, 2018

Nerd Music

Dan and I got up early this morning to get Chris breakfast and off to the ACT test. He's been so committed to going to ACT Prep for the last 10 weeks. He was actually looking forward to the test. What a great feeling to work so hard for something that you're excited to take a test and see how you've improved.

Dan had to take off soon after to go back to Youth Conference. Nick had baseball practice. I got my hair done. (Did I mention that last week my friend said, "I love that you're going natural gray!" What?! How gray am I?! Actually, I'm not going gracefully gray. Just haven't been good at making hair appointments!)

Later that afternoon Nick had a lacrosse game. (Remember when we used to try to go to 4 kids' sporting events each Saturday?! Crazy times!)

Nick got to do more Face-Offs and did an awesome job! He also made 2 goals!



That night Nick didn't have any plans and we talked him into watching The Greatest Showman with Dan and me. It was such a good movie and great music! But truthfully it left me feeling a little bereft after. You know why? Here's the backstory:

I love musicals and music from musicals. It was the only music we listened to until I was in 6th grade and received a rather late introduction to pop music. (We also received a steady diet of Suzuki piano and violin music.) Michelle and I sang along to The Music Man, Sound of Music, Oliver, Saturday's Warrior and My Turn on Earth records non-stop for about 5 years straight.

When Courtney and Marty were little, I also started them off on Suzuki and musicals. I added in all the Disney favorites as well. Tarzan, Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid were favorites. Marty loved Phantom of the Opera and we all loved Les Miserables. But I made sure to include pop music in the form of "Kids Bop" too so they wouldn't turn out like nerds like me. Variety and balance, right?

And then at some point, Dan's music won out. Which is fine because, like I said, Marty loved Phantom when he was 1st grade, and of course he plays Suzuki Classical music beautifully on the violin, but that was about the max he could take of listening to my choices. My boys just aren't the type to forgo cool music for musical music. And that's fine because I love them.

But it did make me sad missing those musical days after we watched Greatest Showman.

I told Courtney and she revealed that she bought the Oliver record for $1 to add to her collection because it reminded her of me. Or her childhood. That made me happy.

And remember that time that Marty convinced Chris and Nick that we should watch Mulan when they were all sick? That makes me happy too! And when Marty's orchestra played for the Les Mis production, he was singing Les Mis all day and even putting it on in the kitchen when he was home. Oh! And the Wonderful Town and Wicked phases we all went through as a family! Ok. I still have a couple of music wins!

No comments: