Thursday, September 07, 2017

Final Exam

Here was the plan: I would prepare for my Relief Society lesson. Then after I taught on Sunday, I would study for my final exam in British Lit. And then I would go to Newport and all the trips throughout July with those two things behind me.

So I taught ("Come Follow Me ... through Service" by Elder Hales) and then I studied. And on Thursday night I logged into my account to take my test. I was confused at why when I "requested test" nothing happened. And after much searching around the site, I realized this test wasn't like the other two exams and 20 quizzes that I took online. This test had to be proctored. Ugh.

I thought I would take it while in Newport Beach at a University campus near there. But first I had to request the test and it had to be mailed to the proctoring site (why did I assume it would simply be electronically sent? Maybe because this is 2017?). And then once the university received it, I had to make an appointment. Now I know.

So I did all that after I got home from everywhere we've been. And once again the plan was: I'd teach my lesson ("How Does the Holy Ghost Help You?" by Elder Stevenson) and then I'd study and take my test. And then I'd prepare my talk for Sacrament Meeting on Sunday ("Just Serve"). And after that I'll plan my lesson in two weeks for Relief Society. (I've actually enjoyed this new calling. Teaching an adult class is a refreshing change for me. I'm looking forward to being challenged this way and getting better at teaching -- especially asking questions in a way that prompts people to participate and answer.)

I took the test at SLCC. It took 3 hours and was the fastest 3 hours of my life. All essay questions. I determined not to look at the clock until I finished the first section. That first section to 1 1/2 hours. I finished the long essay and another hour had whizzed by. (I was seriously shocked to look at my watch and see the minute hand in the exact same place as I'd looked before but that a whole hour had passed.) And the final 3 short essays took 45 min. So I answered all the questions well. Unfortunately the professor doesn't love my short answers from past exams. I felt like I answered really well but averaged a B. That's the hard part of online. No opportunity for discussion or enhanced learning or asking questions. And no way to ask what a better answer would be and learn from your mistakes.

I was kind of nervous and then I realized, actually I was kind of excited. It was actually pretty fun.


No comments: