Saturday, September 30, 2017

My Weekend Alone. Or, "Thankfully I Didn't Get Murdered"

The weekend the boys went to Pagosa was a luxurious 3 days to myself. And when I say "to myself," it means "not in charge of people or dogs." I wasn't really by myself because I had a houseful on Thursday and Friday and half the day Saturday -- beginning at 8:00 a.m. Trent, the window shades guy; Will, the young kid who is a wiz at AV and the rest of his team; Radiant Heat repair guys; the house cleaners (yay!); the Furniture builders and I don't even remember all who else; and all the plants for our yard showed up on Thursday so it was major work happening outside as well and occasional requests for my consulting, advice and opinions.

Plants arriving!
The good thing about having so many people here, is after meeting with each of them, I stayed busy hanging pictures, cleaning up the guest room and getting projects done around the house all day. Also had parent-teacher conferences in the evening. But then... the evening was allllll mine!

Thursday after conferences I ate dinner at Rawtopia (fav raw food restaurant that just opened in a new location in Holladay with a more inviting and welcoming atmosphere than their smaller location in Sugarhouse.) I ate my vegan cream of mushroom soup and curried cauliflower while I caught up on e-mails. I stopped by the store for ice cream on the way home ready to catch up on all my favorite Netflix shows. But when I got home, I remembered I'd left in the daylight and hadn't thought to lock up behind me.

At the Wander Lane house, if I realized a door was unlocked at night, I'd start in the basement checking all the closets and under the beds and in the shower making sure the area was clear of murderers. However, there was no way I could effectively check the whole house here. Someone could easily hide in one space and move to another. And the hiding spots are virtually unlimited. (Hope no murderers are reading this!)

I had to accept that I couldn't check the whole place. And that I most likely wasn't going to be murdered. So I didn't even bother to check around. I just locked everything up and shut the curtains. And then I settled into the couch in the Family Room (so exciting to not have to be in the basement or in my bed to watch TV!) with my pint (of ice cream) and watched a few hours of Grace and Frankie. (I'm not sure why I love a show based on the frustrations of being late-70's, but Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin! Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston! Honestly, what's not to like?)

And then as it neared midnight, I decided if I was going to be murdered, I would have been by now. So I went to bed and slept pretty good. Only woke up a couple of times, sure I could hear someone walking around and another time dreaming I was awake and someone was about to get me. But then I really woke up and all was fine.

Dog Lake
Friday the house was full again, but I left and took a hike with KT up to Dog Lake. Matz warned us there would be snow but we didn't believe him. Turns out he was right. But it was still a great hike and a great catching-up talk.

Yep, there's snow.

KT likes animals
In the evening I remembered to lock up before I ran errands at Bed, Bath & Beyond and Target. Got all stocked up and then came home, sadly seeing that the garage door was open! I'd made myself a target again!! I was sure I had seen it closing, but that was no help to me now. I just closed all the curtains again, watched a few more hours of my show, was satisfied if I was going to be killed they would have done it by now, and went to bed.

Saturday, I had an appointment for a morning massage. So I just wore my sweats (not my cute ones). And then after, wanted to make a quick trip to Ikea, and had to go in my sweats. Looking like I'd literally rolled out of bed. Because I had. Except that my hair had been mussed with oil from the massage. So I looked worse than if I'd rolled out of bed. But I didn't see anyone I knew so it didn't matter.

When I arrived home, Keene the hardware installation guy, who likes to chat, was there. Slowly installing miscellaneous hardware that should have been installed months ago. Fortunately, to save me from conversation, the mattress delivery kids (they really seem so young) arrived. And I was able to use the "Keene, I'll show these guys where to go -- you can let yourself out" tactic.

And then I watched conference. Which I love. I went on a jog in the evening which has previously been unheard of in my life. And I'm pretty sure that night I ate more treats, finished Grace & Frankie and started this season's The Mindy Project.

Before I knew it, the boys were back and that was the end of my alone vacation.

1 comment:

Enjoying my life said...

Ahhhh, perfect! i am so glad you weren't murdered!