Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Greatest Hits

In the talk I'm reading for my lesson for Sunday, Elder Ballard asks "have we received Christ's image in our countenance?" That started the song with the same title going through my head. So I decided to use our new fancy AV system and listen to the song while I folded the laundry.

Wow! Talk about a cry fest! Have you listened to Janice Kapp Perry in the last 30 years? All those oldies but goodies that I listened to all through college (and even gave Dan a mix tape with my favs for his mission) are actually really good and the lyrics are every bit as moving now as they were back then. I felt a little cheesy about dialing in JKP's Greatest Hits on a Spotify playlist through the Sonos while I sat in my closet and folded clothes, but I was glad I did.

I would recommend Janice Kapp Perry for those times you need to feel like Jesus is sitting right beside you. I'm totally serious. The power of music is pretty incredible. I had been reading Job earlier and been touched by his plight and pondering the difficulties of so many others and why do some people receive answers and others don't and how do some people see blessings in the midst of their trials but others feel hopeless and forgotten. So listening to these sweet songs that touch on those subjects (and reminded me of those same questions and feelings I had back in college when first trying to figure out life and who I was and who I wanted to become spiritually) brought heightened emotions! But those kinds of cries are sometimes the best ones. Very cleansing.

Would have been even better if in the midst of tears the HVAC guy downstairs hadn't called for me, "Ma'am! I have a question!" Dry those tears, I've always got workers in the house!

1 comment:

Enjoying my life said...

beautiful. i will listen now, thanks!