Thursday, September 14, 2017

Tip of the Iceberg


Kershaw and I finally got out on a hike -- somewhere different from Tanner Park -- where I could actually get some exercise too. I've recently heard a few people talk about Dog Lake up Millcreek Canyon so we gave it a try.

The trail begins at the top of Millcreek (only accessible when the snow gate is open July 1 - Nov. 1) and took over 20 min. to get there. (You know you're spoiled when driving 20 min. to hike seems like a long ways!)

Kershaw kept resting his head on my arm on the way up. So funny. But also a little annoying like when a boy you've just started dating wants to get too comfortable resting his head on your shoulder or putting his arm around you and by the middle of the date you realize you don't like him touching you and by the end of the date you break up because his neediness is driving you insane. But lucky for Kershaw he is already part of the family so I will keep liking him and try not to be annoyed at him.


This tree looked like it had its heart ripped out.


There were quite a few people hiking that day but it didn't feel crowded. Plenty of alone time.

It was about 6 miles round trip and at a comfortable incline -- far enough to be challenging, and steep enough that it felt like a hike and not a walk, but not so steep that you had to stop to catch your breath at all. I think I read you gain 1440 of elevation in the 3 miles up.


Some colors were just beginning to show. I took a bite of my apple on the way down and with that one juicy bite, all felt right with the world. Fall, apples, hiking, crisp air, and a happy dog.

On the way up Millcreek I passed dozens of hiking trails. KT and I have a few favorites, but there are so many. And that's just the one canyon. I'd like try a lot of different trails this fall. Dog Lake was just the tip of the iceberg.

Later in the evening I saw a baby deer and its mama walking through the yard. As I watched, I realized it was just the two. A whole herd of deer had stopped to graze in the yard. SIX! They happily walked about eating for probably 20 minutes. We're canceling our plans for tulips now and swapping out to daffodils!

Can you spot all six?

No comments: