Tuesday, September 05, 2017

Productive

Nicholas asked me tonight what I do all day when I don't have meetings. (I can only assume he means house meetings which have been a part of his life for probably as long as he can remember.) Fortunately for me, when he asked that question, I had actually done a lot of things today including things that Nicholas could actually see -- I exercised; I did all the laundry and put it away; I made the beds; I made dinner; I played with Kershaw; I took you shopping for new shoes; I paid some bills and made phone calls to set up Visiting Teaching appointments and calls to fix the garbage can and get some things finished on the house. They are not very interesting things, but important things nonetheless.  Nicholas commented, "It sounds like you had a productive day."

It took me by surprise to hear him echo back to me how both Dan and I most often describe our days. "Productive" or "Not Very Productive." I guess I shouldn't be surprised that if that's what he hears all the time. But it was funny to hear his comment.

Sometimes I wonder if we would actually take the time to teach our kids skills if they weren't scouts requirements. Luckily, the Family Life merit badge gives us an excuse to have the kids learn new things. Dan taught Nick how to use the drill so he could hang 11 hooks in the basement storage room for hanging sleeping bags & pads. I think I'll also count Nick and Courtney working together to build his IKEA nightstand. Now for the second part of the requirement, I need a project for the whole family to work together on...

Below is just a sampling of the evidence of Friday-after-school friends over. Nick finally gets early day for the first time in his school career (not even Kindergarten, because he went to Discovery in the afternoons!)

We had about 15 boys over when Dan, Michelle, Brent and I got back from waterskiing. 
(Not a bad way to spend a Friday while the kids are all in school. Alas, no photo documentation of me skiing!)

They were running all over and I decided to ignore them since we don't have much furniture yet to worry about. Now is the time to run and play!


Sunday we had our first official "Family Dinner at the New House." Us, Marge, Wingers, Adairs, Michelle & Brent, Jay & Peggy. It's so great to have room to all eat together in the dining room!!

Where are Chris, Simone, Brook, Jacob and Gavin?
New CatStudio glasses. Makes me happy!

And last, but not least, Courtney started back to school today! 

1st Day!



No comments: