Friday, September 08, 2017

Background Music

I've started running again and I'm loving my app "5K Runner" -- 8 weeks working-up to running a 5K. I started at 1.5 min run/walk alternating and 4 weeks in, I'm up to 5 min run/3 min walk. What I like most is I just follow directions and don't have to look at my watch to see how long I've run and talk myself into going farther. I just run when it dings and tells me to run and "slow down and walk" when it dings and tells me to. It's so great!

The newest bit for me is running with headphones. I've NEVER run to music before. I tried once before but my music kept fast-forwarding songs and I had to have my phone in the arm case which didn't fit right and the phone acted like it had a mind of its own. It turned out to be frustrating.

I've always liked walking or running and being able to think. Long walks are a good time to get a lot of thinking done. And I never run out of things to ponder.

But, surprisingly, I have LOVED having background music to my thoughts. I thought it would be a distraction. And it kind of is, but in a good way. I still can think and ponder (and even pray), and the music is just a subtle pick-me-up background music. It's great! With the added bonus that I can think better, because I'm not distracted by frequent watch-checking to see "how much longer." I can actually get more lost in my thoughts until I hear the DING!

I'm also loving that our neighborhood is more shady and I have a long stretch that's completely flat. A very supportive back-to-running-starting-from-scratch environment.

No comments: