Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Birthday Fun

My plan for my birthday began with a bike ride after getting the boys off to school. And then if timed perfectly, a temple session in the morning before visiting teaching in the afternoon! Dan had time to join me which made it that much more perfect.

I haven't ridden since May and it felt great to be out. We rode 3000 around to Butler Middle School, up to Wasatch and home along Mt. Olympus. It was a great ride and I'm glad we had time to get the extra "Butler" stretch in.

The Jordan River temple is closed so we went to Oquirrh Mountain. Unfortunately, even though we arrived 30 min. before the next session, it was already full. Disappointed, we had to skip doing a session together and do initiatory instead. I never like it when my plan gets changed. But it was my birthday and it's the temple so I needed to try to have a good attitude. The first good thing is I had two men's names that Dan needed to do initiatory for.

Next, as I was getting changed, I thought about the last time I did initiatory which was after my dad had died and I was hoping to have a chance to sit quietly in the temple. Unfortunately a woman wouldn't stop speaking to me the entire time. I tried to be patient and even wondered if she might have something inspirational to share that I should listen for. No. She was simply super disruptive. I was kind and was a good listener. But later, I wished I'd let her know I was hoping to sit quietly. So I thought this was a chance for a do-over as I waited.

I read my scriptures while I waited (Esther and Job). I prayed for the Spirit to help me not mind that my plan had changed and to feel good about the service I was doing that day. Soon I felt much more settled and accepting of the new plan.

During the initiatory, one temple worker had such a beautiful Spirit about her, I was completely moved. There was such a tender, loving feeling that permeated me that I became pretty teary. Afterwards I thanked her for her service and told her she had a wonderful spirit about her. She said she was feeling the Spirit so strong that day.

I met Dan in the waiting room. He'd finished about 20 min. before me, but was enjoying reading the scriptures while he waited. He also had a tender experience and had felt a sweet spirit while we were there. We were both really glad things worked out as they did.

And to top it off, initiatory is faster than an endowment session, so we had time for lunch at Slapfish, a new lobster roll restaurant. And that was right next door to my favorite cake place, "Nothing Bundt Cake" where we picked up cake for my birthday (actually 4 bundtinis so we could sample different kinds -- white chocolate raspberry, cinnamon, red velvet (for Nick) and carrot (because that reminds me of the cake my mom used to make us!))

I had time to change clothes and then enjoyed visiting teaching for the first time in our new ward. I've actually been assigned two people I know -- one has been a friend for a long time, but we don't cross paths too often so it's a treat to have an excuse to spend time with her each month. And another is a new friend I cross paths with often, but don't have too much time to talk. And my partner is so interesting and insightful. It was a really fun way to spend my birthday afternoon!

Nick and Chris had lacrosse in the evening, but Dan brought home Porcupine Grill for us for dinner. After dinner we took Kershaw on a walk around the neighborhood. Also, kind of a first to have time in the evening to go for a walk together!

When the boys got home they ate dinner while I opened presents. A whole box of Macarons all to myself! A couple of cute shirts. AND new wireless headphones! Just what I wanted -- and I hadn't even said anything! What a fun surprise!!! And Dan was equally as thrilled and surprised to have gotten me something I really wanted without me even knowing or suggesting! :-)

47 started out great... and I even got all the candles out in one breath!

No comments: