Saturday, April 22, 2017

The Long Road

Kershaw has completely gone off the rails and poops in his crate at night -- sometimes several times at night -- no matter when we try to get up with him. Been going on ever since we got back from Seattle and Dan's going crazy. Me too. But Dan is really frustrated. Mainly because he's the one whose been getting up with him because he's nice and I can't deal with one more thing.

Yes, his crate is the right size and we don't feed him after 6 and who knows if he's sick and we have bedding or no bedding, depending on what we're trying that day, and he's not crated too long etc. etc. etc. etc. It's a mystery and I hope Kershaw lives to see if it turns out ok for him in the end.

Chris and Dan went to the racetrack early today -- something they've been looking forward to for a long time! It's an all-day thing, getting four runs on the track throughout the day with an instructor, and also watching professional racing. They had a blast! Chris says it's the funnest day he's ever had and Dan said Chris is really good at it. They've got a few more days scheduled this summer and Nick's going to go out and watch them too.

Once they got off, I took Kershaw down and gave him a bath. Then dried him well and brushed him. I was able to read my scriptures while he napped and get the house tidied up. Doesn't a clean house make everyone feel better? Nick and I took him to puppy training class -- mostly to ask Dave for suggestions about what to do. (And a little bit to see if Kershaw was afraid of him and if he secretly was a bad trainer while we left him when we were out of town. But Kershaw loves him and was so excited to see him.)

On the way home, we drove past the end of the Salt Lake Marathon. It was 11:30 a.m., at mile 18. The street was still blocked off on one side with a water station with supporters and police at each intersection. There weren't a lot of runners by that time. In fact I didn't think there would be any 4 hours into the race all the way back at mile 18. But soon a woman ran by. A man ran by her side but he wasn't wearing a number. I assumed he was there for support. Up the hill I made out another woman. Pretty heavy-set and jogging at mile 18. Behind her a ways was another runner.

I was so overcome by their dedication, I started to weep. Already running for 4 hours and looking at at least 2 more hours to go. I prayed for them that they wouldn't get discouraged and they could see how far they'd come. 18 Miles! It was so inspirational. Also knowing how hard they had worked over several months to get there. They made my day.

There weren't a lot of them, but there were still a few determined to make it no matter how long it took!

1 comment:

Kristin Shaeffer said...

Crying when inspired feels good. I bet your emotions are surprising you, though. You have so much to be grateful for. So much to be worried about. So much. So, a cry feels especially good, I would guess.