Friday, October 12, 2018

Fall Tomato Harvest


We went to Porcupine Grill for Family Night. Then the kids (Dan was out of town) helped me pick the rest of the ripe tomatoes. So. Many. Tomatoes! We had quite a few heirlooms that are the size of cantaloupes. (And cantaloupes the size of tomatoes.)

We also tried a variety that were supposed to be green and white striped (I think they were called "zebra tomatoes.") The only problem is I didn't know they were supposed to be green. I was waiting and waiting for them to ripen and didn't suspect until they were super soft but still green. Then I read the tag and figure it out.

Note for next year. Choose more red tomato varieties. The greens and the yellows were pretty. But we didn't have enough good ol' red.


We had a Youth "mystery scripture dinner" Wednesday night and my friend made a delicious spaghetti sauce. I spent Thursday roasting tomatoes and making the sauce. Also canning pear tomato jam. Not sure if we'll ever eat it. But it was a good thing to experiment and learn about "water bath" canning. It was easy.






I just froze the spaghetti sauce in jars because it had a lot of olive oil. And apparently you shouldn't can sauces (water bath) with oil. Peppers, tomatoes and jalapeƱos all from the garden. Yum!

No comments: