Monday, December 05, 2022

The Parable of the Breakfast Burrito

 Testimony Meeting in another ward is always a little different because often the spirit felt while others are sharing their testimonies has something to do with knowing that person and their history.
For instance, the woman saying the opening prayer in Marty & Lizzie's ward got choked up.
I learned later that she was battling cancer. There's often so much more than meets the eye.

Yesterday, one testimony in particular really moved me. 
The gentleman started by commenting how in the opening prayer and in Marty's blessing of Emi both mentioned kindness. What an important trait kindness is and how simple acts will bless other's lives.
Then he shared that last week he'd been a bad samaritan.

While pumping gas he noticed a scruffy young man with a backpack going from car to car asking for money. Prepared with an answer when he approached him, the man immediately responded, "No, thank you" and turned his back. Within a few minutes, he noticed the beggar picking up coins someone had dropped on the ground and suddenly, his heart was softened. Who was he to turn away a child of God? His brother? He went into the gas station and bought a warm breakfast burrito, but when he came back outside, the young man was gone. 

Jumping in his truck he started to search, finally spotting him across the street. 
Getting over to that side of the road required several turns in his not to be missed big red truck, but he persisted and finally he pulled up next to him, stopped and rolled down his window to offer the burrito.
The young man took it gratefully, then responded,
"I saw you coming and I thought you were going to yell at me."

The man sharing his experience then testified how grateful he was for second chances.
For the opportunity to repent and show love where he hadn't at first.

I too am so grateful for second chances. 
To be a better person today than I was yesterday -- or last hour.

When I spoke to him after the meeting, we had a warm conversation and I learned he was from Oregon. When I said my sister and her family lived in Grant's Pass, he said, they'll know my brothers. They used to be the Stake President, and my nephews too. Turns out Bekah and Matt are good friends with all.

Bob L. and I hugged as we said goodbye, new friends after a few kind words.

No comments: