Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Please and Thank You

 Nick just told me about a funny object lesson his Seminary teacher did in class today.
He called his wife from the iPhone of a kid in class so she didn't know it was him.

He said, "Hi Honey, thank you for all you do for our family and for the kids and thank you for the things you do for me. Please do my laundry and make me dinner and clean up the house. I'm calling you from an iPhone. Bye."

Nick said it was really funny, and what especially stood out to him was how he talked at his wife, not letting let her say a word at all, then simply hung up. 
What stood out to me was the way he asked for stuff more like a list of demands.

I think I'm a thoughtful asker, but I'm going to pay attention to that.
I'm terrible at listening after praying. 
I hit "Amen" then jump up like it's a contest to see who can be first off the floor (which I think it was when we were kids saying the family dinner prayer. I literally remember shouting "first!" Was that "first" to kneel or "first" to sit back in our chairs? Apparently I'm still having a race.)

 I expect God to reach me while I'm on the fly -- which he does most (all) of the time.
But that's probably not the best way. 
Although often I do say really long prayers so I'm listening as I'm praying 
and considering what to pray for -- so that's more like a conversation.
I'm definitely better at praying and listening than I was in high school. 
But there's always room for improvement.

No comments: