Sunday, March 17, 2019

Saturday Is Sunday

What fun we had in Japan! I've been looking forward to a family trip -- EVERYONE together! 
When even one person is missing, the dynamic is different. It's not a bad thing, it's just like...
Someone Important is Missing. 

We are not sure if we'll be able to get another family trip in before Chris goes on his mission. 
But I'm sure going to try to make it happen. Because being together is my favorite place to be.

We left to the airport early Saturday morning. A layover in Seattle then on to Tokyo.
We left when Christopher was 17. When we arrived at the Tokyo airport, he was now 18 and had to show his passport when we went through some sort of preliminary customs. 

Nick's fever was down to 102 when we left. Well, that's one degree improvement. 
So Dan sacrificed his First Class seat so Nick could have it (lay down beds) and sleep the whole way.
Awww... Dad's are awesome. 

Funny story, I was a few seats away from Nick, but then when I looked at my ticket, I'd been changed  to right across the aisle. So much better for helping him out during the trip. 
(He usually doesn't need help -- but since he was sick, he did.)

We got settled, then a lady arrived and she had my seat too. I showed her my ticket and we both had the same seat assignment. I told her they must have moved me to be across from my son. 
My previous seat was 4A, so that was probably her seat and we were both a little confused, but she was more than happy to switch.

A few minutes later I looked closer at my ticket and it was actually my Seattle seat. Oops. 
Well, the other lady probably would have switched had I asked anyway.

When we arrived in Seattle, Mt. Rainer was "out" (as the Washingtonians say). Also you could see two other volcanos in the chain. I love this view. Volcanos!


When we stepped off the plane, but before we'd even walked up the jetway, a Delta lady was holding a sign with our name on it. The four of us got to walk down the stairs (where you gate-check baggage and leave your strollers etc.), jump in the Delta Porsche and she drove us to the back door of the international terminal with an elevator direct to the Delta lounge. She even took care of checking us in so we just went and sat down. Lets call this a little tender mercy for Nick. It was so much more efficient and simpler than having to take a train!

Also, First Class had a little door so they were private suites. Fancy!


On our way! About 11 hours from Seattle to Tokyo.


I watched three movies -- Instant Family (watch it with the whole family, it's great!), What They Had (Mom, Blythe Dinner, has Alzheimer's -- great cast, great acting), and A Simple Favor (hard to turn down Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively. Fun thriller!). I rarely watch movies on flights -- but this was so relaxing and a fun movie marathon!


Customs was fast and easy at Narita Airport. Although they had a quarantine area where you had to walk through a heat scanner to check your temperature. I was a teensy bit worried what would happen to Nick, but he got through without incident. Later at the hotel I took his temp and it was down to normal!

We met Marty at our hotel -- he'd been in Japan the prior week with five friends touring 
Tokyo and Kyoto. Fun dream trip for these boys!

Beautiful flower display at The Palace Hotel.

When we arrived it was 6:00 p.m. Tokyo time, but 3:00 a.m. Utah time. 
We were feeling it, but wanted to power through until normal bedtime.
Plus it was Chris' birthday!

Our first official Japanese meal was Yakiniku. 
You've got a time limit of 1 hour, 30 minutes to eat as much meat as you want.
They bring trays of it, then you cook it on the bbq in the middle of the table. 
Marty showed us how its done. It was delicious! 


Happy 18 Chris!
I wrapped up a little box of play money for his birthday gift.
The right color and the right size!


Flight bed-head. I haven't seen his hair this lay-down flat in... ever!


Marty suggested we go to a virtual reality game center, but we were feeling too tired and decided to wait until we were back in Tokyo on the last day of our trip.

Instead we took the subway to the "Times Square" of Tokyo. 
(I found a pharmacy and managed to find make-up remover--mine had spilled. 
Impressive sleuthing skills!)

Subway signs. Lots of translated English gave us a laugh!

"It's a warm and wonderful feeling when people show kindness!"



 This is the really cool intersecting crosswalks area, but you don't get the 
best perspective from the ground. Shibuya Crossing:

Much better -- From the internet:

 We were back to our hotel by 10:00 and ready for sleep. 
It was so exciting to be in Japan! 

No comments: