Friday, March 22, 2019

Fukuoka to Hiroshima

This morning we rode bikes around Uminonakamichi Seaside Park. 
It took us 45 minutes to get there by train and ferry, but it was beautiful and fun to ride.

I was happy that everyone was up for it and were good sports. I worried they wouldn't want to go because there wasn't really anything to look at. It was just a large park (think Central Park large) 
with bike paths and seasonal flowers blooming.
 (Although in the summer you can enjoy a zoo, water park, lots of kids parks, even a go-Kart track, and lots and lots of green space, in addition to all the flowers.)

But we had a fun time and I think everyone enjoyed a break from walking!


Notice Courtney and I on the tandem! So fun!






The kids found a rose bush with my name on it! 
Made me happy that they were just as excited about it as when I see 
something with their names on it!
(Remember when I thought I saw Marty's name in Ireland and made Dan drive around the block again so I could get a photo. And the it said "solicitor," not Shaeffer.



The bike barn. Look how many!


Chris is wanting to take over photographer duties from Courtney


Once back in the city, Dan, Nick and Chris went back to our hotel to get our luggage
and Marty took Courtney and I to a rooftop garden of the mall that was above the train station we were using to get to Hiroshima. This photo doesn't do it justice. The trees were blooming, a small kids train circled the perimeter and children were riding tricycles in a kids park.
Such a happy place!


This is becoming a familiar site -- carrying our luggage through the train station.
We are LOVING the Shinkansen! Whereas the normal train would take 1:30 - 2 hrs to get places, the bullet train gets us there in 30 - 45 minutes! 
We often have to transfer to a normal train or subway to get to our final destination (the hotel)
but we've been able to maximize time getting from place to place so quickly!


Dan accidentally booked the kids in smoking rooms in our hotel in Hiroshima.
Ugh! Just thinking about it gives me a headache. Our room smelled like old linens.
The rooms had air filters that made a big difference. Chris and Marty said they didn't mind.
Good travelers. I think they didn't want to offend anyone by making a stink about it.

For dinner we went to Yakiniku again so that Courtney could try it.
The hostess indicated for me to put our name on the menu. Ok. I hope she can read it.


Dan and Marty kept ordering a ton of food! 






More photos around town:
One street of cherry trees in bloom!


VERY detailed instructions about how to use the toilet in all the public spaces.
Specifically noting "sit, don't squat on top" and "toilet paper goes in the toilet, not in the trash."

Every toilet has heated seats, options for massage spray, bidet and "privacy sound/music." (Often just the sound of running water."



No comments: