Monday, January 08, 2018

New Year, New Class

I've signed up for another Creative Writing class. This time through UCLA Extension. Also this time I'm on a schedule -- an assignment due each week for the next 10 weeks. Also, our work that we post will receive comments from other class members. I'm excited to receive feedback. As the instructor put it, "Accepting feedback and not taking it personally is a skill we all need to get good at."

Reminded me of Marty participating in all the chess tournaments. You'll always lose one or two (or three) of the 6 matches and you have to get good at losing. He did get good at it. And that didn't come naturally for him when he was young. (Now that I look back, is ANY preschooler good at losing? So by 2nd grade he was a gracious loser and winner. Now that I say that out loud, it does seem quite young to be expected to be a good sport. But you have to learn sometime and his time was through chess beginning in 2nd grade.) (That was super off-topic.)

The first assignment isn't available for two more days so I don't know what it is yet. But I'm excited!


No comments: