Wednesday, October 05, 2022

Rick & Ron -- We Are Family

 Celebration of life in Santa Cruz for my mom and Marge's brothers,
Uncle Rick and Uncle Ron.
Uncle Rick died during Covid in 2021. Uncle Ron died a few months ago.

Ron's daughter, Tina, and my mom planned the celebration to include 
a train ride at Roaring Camp through Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park
with a BBQ on site afterward. 
Then a taco truck part at Rick's house in the evening.

Michelle and Morgan picked me up from the airport so we had time to walk 
through the forest before meeting everyone else.


I didn't know my oldest cousins well -- Kirk, Renee and Tina.
They were from different relationships and were ten years older.
But I loved Carrie, Robert and Kenny.
We had much, much, much different upbringings, but we always looked forward
to getting together as children.
Carrie lived with us our junior year which gave us the opportunity to become even closer.
We call each other from time to time but haven't seen each other in years.
It was so good to be together.


I've only known brief synopses of what Kenny and Robert have been up to--
their life paths have looked so different than mine.
But seeing the joy in their family of being together, 
the thrill of the little kids seeing aunts and uncles, and lots of warm embraces and laughs,
was a good reminder that families don't look the same--shouldn't look the same--
and love can abound.

(This pic was the one that Marge got them NOT flip off the camera. Every one, including the kids.)
😂


Kenny found God a few years ago and goes to regular men's Bible study
and as Carrie put it, "is a wonderful fellowshipper."
Which made me wonder if I'm as good a fellowshipper or testifier as I could be?





It wouldn't be a bad idea to plan to spend some time each year walking through the redwoods.
Their majesty is palpable. They've been around since before Christ. 




Sheree brought Soren, Rebekah brought her two littles, Livy & Jane,
and Rachel had Dylan and Reese. (Michelle even brought Morgan!)
The cousins loved being together.





I missed the evening portion of the reunion -- I had to catch a flight back home.
After being in Denver for so long, I preferred to not stay overnight.
But I'm so glad I went. I always love being with my mom, Marge, sisters and their kids.
But it was really wonderful to reconnect with my cousins. 
Being together and sharing memories I felt a pull--a tethering--
strengthening our common link where we put aside differences and love each other as we are 
because we're family.

No comments: