Sunday, June 13, 2021

New Calling

 I have a new church calling -- Primary Chorister!

I've always wanted a chance to do this because often when I was the president, I had so many ideas for  implementing a variety of songs into singing time rather than just the one that was being learned that month. It's a time-intensive job for sure and I often made the plea to our bishop that "it can't just be anyone... it's a more important job than the president." I think I can be good at it, and I'm looking forward to it. The creative part is more challenging for me, (especially if the presidency is expecting Pinterest-worthy) -- I'm creative, I guess, just not artsy.  

I'm working with a partner which will be helpful since I'm out of town a lot and also we can bounce ideas off each other. She taught today and was absolutely phenomenal in her enthusiasm and confidence with the kids. She's done it before, so I'm looking forward to working with her, learning from her and getting to know a new friend. 

We met today after we got set apart and are both on the same page in all the aspects of the calling we talked about (songs, simplicity, no treats, no posters of every word during the program, ha!) Most importantly to have fun!

Funny story...the bishop came by last week and extended me a calling in RS. I asked if I could talk to the President before I accepted to know what the responsibilities were etc. (My new policy so I don't say yes to something that I don't truly understand what I'm getting myself into.) He agreed, of course.

Ten minutes later he was back at our door. When he called the President and asked her to call me, she reminded him that wasn't the calling they'd agreed upon! He had met with the new Primary Pres and RS Pres and acted as scribe as they discussed different people, callings, needs. I love that he does this. When he was first called I was at a Ward Council where he said it was important to him that the Presidents of organizations visit about callings rather than "steal" people from each other. So refreshing! It used to be so frustrating in Primary when teachers and presidency members were taken with no discussion with me. Primary is the biggest staffing responsibility in the ward and having people taken willy-nilly was infuriating. I think prioritizing discussing between the presidents is a huge step in treating presidents as actual presidents!  

Anyway, at their meeting, he said my name had been brought up for a few different things and he'd gotten it wrong and the actual calling was chorister. Suffice to say, I was way more excited about this calling than the original one (which was implementing a project that RS wanted to happen. Wasn't thrilled to be the go-girl for someone else's vision.)

Tonight we went to Dunc and Kristin's for dinner tonight since Kay and Chuck are in town. Even though the days have been hot, it was lovely eating outside in the shade. So much fun we're doing it again tomorrow at our house. (Marty and Lizzie couldn't come tonight, and we wanted them to have a chance to spend time with Kay and Chuck and family too!)

No comments: