Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Clara Day

Today I had a doctor appointment and considered cancelling on Clara. I called her to tell her I was going to be late, and she was so disappointed. I just couldn't disappoint her further, and I'm so glad I didn't. She'd made plans for us to run out to West Jordan because she needed to deliver some things to her daughter and was looking forward to me meeting her daughter. I was thrilled! I'd heard all about her. It was a special day. Clara's daughter is bubbly and laughs a lot. Clara says she's always positive. But she in fact is mentally challenged. She has a daughter (Clara's granddaughter) who is mentally handicapped -- is 30 years old but has the mind of a 2-year-old and hasn't spoken ever. She goes to a group activity center daily. Clara helps her daughter understand the paperwork. Wow. It's quite a job for a 92-year-old woman! But she's positive about it and doesn't complain. She's an inspiration. I came away today so grateful for my blessings and my family. And grateful that I didn't let Clara down. I loved being with her today.

We turned on the fire tonight. It was so cozy we sat in the family room reading.



Then the missionaries dropped by and I was so glad they had a cozy home to spend a few minutes in. Elder Beaman goes home Tuesday. I asked if they wanted something to drink. Elder Beaman replied, "Yes! Can I get one of those Izzes?" Ha! I loved that we had something he actually wanted -- and that he wasn't too shy to ask.

Chris came home while they were here and asked if they'd tell him what they did when they got discouraged on their missions. Elder Beaman said he made a commitment before he left he was staying the whole two years so its never an option for him to go home. Elder Adams said he tries to change it up with goals or challenges to make the work a little different. Plus always reading scriptures and saying prayers. I'm grateful they stopped by and for the positive influence the missionaries always are on our family.

No comments: