Thursday, November 15, 2018

Answers and a Plan

Since I haven't been shy about sharing my perimenopause issues on my blog (because we should talk about it! And also my readership is limited to Kristin, EC, my Mom, Marge and Dan so its a pretty safe group...) then you know I've been having weird period issues. I skipped two a couple of months ago, but then soon after started up again and bled for 3 weeks straight! Smack in the middle I was literally hemorrhaging for 4 days. While we were in London, which was fun. So. Fun. But quite a miracle that our hotel room had a washer and dryer. That worked out well. Silver linings everywhere.

Well, it seemed like all of this craziness warranted a trip to the doctor. She did an ultrasound and found my endometrium lining was 26 mm. Instead of the usual 5 at the end of a period or even 11-15 right before your period starts. So she scheduled a biopsy to rule out cancer. Which was unsettling. I found out I don't have cancer -- Phew. It's rare. But still... I worried.

Time out for a vent: Biopsy was Tuesday. She said I should check in on Friday--that she was going to be out town but her medical assistant could give me the results if they were in. I called on Friday and the assistant said they were in. But she couldn't give me the results because my NP hadn't reviewed them first. FRUSTRATING!

I was plagued with deciphering the psychology of the assistant. Did I have cancer and the assistant didn't want to be the one to tell me? Or was she just a self-important rule-follower who forgot that a real person with real feelings was worrying? This is THE THIRD TIME I've waited for results for a biopsy and they've made me wait even though they had the answers. I would really like to revamp this about the medical world!

Monday when I called... guess what... whoever answered the phone said, "I see you called on Friday and we told you we'd get back to you when the NP had a chance to review the results. She's only been back for a day so you need to give her a little more time." I wanted to strangle her. I actually queued my Nicholas sarcastic voice and almost responded with a nasal "Ohhh Kaaaayy." But I wasn't quite that rude. Even though they were being TOTALLY rude to me!!!!

Tuesday evening on the way to the airport my NP called and told me everything was normal. But I should meet with the Gynecologist to make a plan. I met her today and really liked her! She was a great listener and together we made a "wait and see" approach and plan for my 3 conditions. I left feeling really good.

1) I'm starting birth control to try to see if we can get my hormones balanced and bleeding in check. (Totally bleeding again. I've only had a week off in 5 weeks.) We'll try that for 3 months. But if I'm still having breakthrough, then it's probably a big polyp -- biopsy indicated polyp tissue -- or the fibroid bleeding and we'll do an ablation or hysterectomy.

2) Stage 3 rectocele and stage 2 cystocele. Diagnosed and we'll address if we do anything about that after I see a GI. I've been having constant pain similar to the feeling of having a razor blade in my netherends. The pain has been worse than any of my other conditions. No hemorrhoids. No fissures. I almost wonder if its a nerve issue. (I've been doing lots of reading on the internet.) So. Also not fun. But the rectocele and cystocele really shouldn't be causing pain so that's probably not it. But if we do a hysterectomy, she thought it would be a good idea to fix both of those and rebuild my insides so they weren't falling out. Sounds like something to consider.

3) Surprisingly unrelated to the above, is the peeing problem. She got a first-hand look (literally) at my issue when diagnosing the above issues and was like... "O.K. You've got to do something about that. It's a 15 minute surgery. We do it all the time and its a cinch. You've got to get that fixed." First I'm going to Pelvic Physical therapy who may also be able to address the razor blade pain. We'll know after 3 weeks if that's working. If it is, I'll continue for 6-8 weeks. If not, I'll put that at the top of the fix list. But I have to say, pee-proof undies really do make everything better. I told her that too and she looked like she kind of wanted to shake her head and roll her eyes.

Dan said, "Women sure do have to sacrifice so much to have babies!" I wouldn't change a thing. I'm so grateful I got to be pregnant. They're worth it.
Courtney

Marty

Christopher 
Nicholas (photo from the screen of the computer. I need a new desktop with Airdrop!)

P.S. To demonstrate the frame of mind I've been in for the past month... I just ate all of these chocolates while I've been sitting here writing this.






1 comment:

LifeOfARealMom said...

Yes, we DO sacrifice a lot to have babies! Yes, it IS worth it! Yes, pee-proof measures are reassuring, I speak from experience.... Yes, the doctor's office and your blessed NP need to up their game! I have thought I was dying before and it is essential that feeling be nipped ASAP. Especially the fear of cancer, MY LAND!

Angela, you poor thing! I am so sorry you have been through all this. Bleeding, dealing with razors in the netherends, and much more! Oh, If I was in town I would bring you a casserole.

Take notes if you have to have the surgery. I may be next. I will call you about your other on going issues. I don't understand them.

LOVE!! Hang in there! I am SO GLAD YOU DON'T have cancer.

(A shout out to those who do have or have had cancer - the numbers are astounding. My heart goes out to each of you. The Lord must love you a lot to trust you with a trial we ALL fear. May you be blessed beyond measure.)