Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Adrenaline

I made lists and lists on the flight home from New York. Lots and lots of planning for creating The Holidays. Things like: neighbor gift list, dinner ideas, and who to add to Christmas Card list. Then I made lists of what needed to get done and who I needed to call for home stuff and church stuff. Things like groceries, home maintenance and Young Women's responsibilities. Some lists were in my phone and others were on a re-order card from my magazine. (As long as I have a piece of scrap paper and a pen, I can keep myself busy for hours!)


I am three days home and have stayed busy non-stop for all of them. That's a huge accomplishment because sometimes I have big goals, but then I get a sinking spell in the early afternoon and suddenly I don't care about getting anything done. I just want a nap. But my adrenaline is rocking!

Monday was laundry, buying groceries, cleaning out clutter and pulling out the Christmas decorations. I also bought my neighbor gifts (Amaryllis from Home Depot). While I was doing that a designer came and put up the "classy" Christmas tree, the garlands on the mantles and the garland on the stairs. It was luxurious to have them decorate while I unpacked from New York, did the laundry and ran my errands. That night we took Nick and some friends to a Jazz game. Mid-game I was exhausted. But so happy at having been so productive.



Tuesday I spent an hour organizing my office -- I've never actually finished putting all the shelves up and the books neatly put away. I had my personal trainer, then straight to a hair appointment, Clara right after, Nick's piano carpool, then took two YW to buy fabric for our blanket activity on Wednesday, and finally, an evening mammogram. After being smashed flat (I so wanted to take a picture, but obv I didn't), I was right by Costco, so I bought stuff from my Costco list, and then stopped by the grocery store where we like their fresh juice and cut fruit.

Today I decorated for Christmas all day long. It was actually really relaxing because I wasn't rushed at all. I also mailed Marty's Christmas package and had a very successful Young Women's Activity making fleece blankets for refugees in Jordan (the country) and coordinating a video we're making for a special surprise project. Tonight I designed and ordered our Christmas Cards.

Just clicking things off those lists, a little bit at a time.






To top off all the "getting stuff done" awesome-feeling-mojo, one of my kids was mad because even though I bought the specific just-for-him frozen meals he asked me to buy, I didn't read his mind and buy the kind of chips he wished I'd bought and so "we had nothing to eat." 
And "how was it so hard for me to buy 'anything good' when I don't do anything all day long?"

And that's what its like to be a mom of teenagers.

1 comment:

StevenHWicker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.