Monday, August 13, 2018

Santa Fe



We started our vacation by flying to Santa Fe to meet all the family and visit Papa's grave together.
We had a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon to walk around the town. We paired off -- Carine was with Courtney so they checked out the town together. Chris and Nick together did their own thing. And Dan and I visited the Russian Art Galley where we were looking at a piece of art that reminds us of Pagosa. Coincidentally the gallery owner contacted me last week to inform me of a 15% off sale. Perfect timing.





That evening we went to Santa Fe Opera. Total bucket list item for Dan. Unbelievably they were performing that night! It was their apprentice series, about 8 different groups performing 8 numbers from various different operas. It was a great way to try the opera because the lights came on after each performance with a few minute break to talk. Let's just say I had some good naps. I'm not a fan of the opera. I feel like I've officially given it several good tries and simply don't like it. However, I loved being with everyone in the outdoor venue -- especially since its something Dan has always wanted to do.



Monday morning we exercised with Courtney and Carine, had breakfast at the hotel (La Fonda), then Carine drove to Albuquerque to pick up Luke Affleck who couldn't come with us the day before. Meanwhile the rest of us went to the cemetery to visit Papa's grave on his 87th birthday. Gram had flags and rocks from the Piedra River for each of us to add to the grave. We went around the circle and each said something we loved about him. It was pretty emotional. I was feeling my Dad's death as well and it was just sad.


One thing I loved about Marty is he always supported us, no matter what. He gave us advice and counsel. I valued his wisdom. However, when we made our decision, whether we followed his advice or didn't, he always immediately supported us. I'll never forget the first time this came into play. We were in Clovis looking to buy our first car from their friend Leon Hagelgantz' dealership. Marty and EC had seen a couple Leon had -- an old car that was cheap. And a red Ford Explorer. They recommended the old car because it was in great condition and inexpensive. Of course Dan and I bought the Explorer because we LOVED it! And when we got home (to Gram and Papa's house) they were thrilled for us. They smiled and loved it as much as we did. Not once did they shake their heads or act disappointed. What a blessing to have in-laws that loved us unconditionally. I feel so fortunate to be part of the Shaeffer family. They have embraced me from the start. I miss Marty. I'm so grateful for the positive influence he's been in my life and my children's. Not to mention Dan. We love him.


No comments: