Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Temple Feeds My Spirit


I was feeling a little blue at the end of February. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. 
When I start feeling down, I have a little checklist I run through to see if I can pinpoint why I'm feeling how I am (hormones? stress? more sleep? alone time?)
 but none of those things seemed to be the problem.

When I said my morning prayers I prayed for peace. 
I prayed to have the clouds part (because that's what it felt like... 
covered in clouds and not seeing the sun). That day I didn't feel worse. But I didn't feel better. 

The next morning I prayed with gratitude that I didn't feel worse. And gave thanks for a Heavenly Father who loves me, knows me and answers my prayers. I asked again that I could "see" clearly and feel better. That the clouds would part and I would feel like myself. 
I prayed for guidance to know what to do that would help.

That day I realized I hadn't been to the temple since December. 
I'm not sure what happened and how time got away from me, but it did. 
Once I realized I hadn't been in a couple of months, I started feeling better already. 
It was definitely the answer I was looking for.

I have recognized in life that my spirit needs the nourishment it gets at the temple. 
That somehow the communion there between me and God goes beyond what my intellect comprehends. My spirit is fed and nourished just by being in the House of the Lord. 
And that spiritual nourishment has a very real physical impact on me.

I know the work we do in the temple has eternal blessings not only for us and our deceased ancestors, but also eternal blessings for our posterity. I don't understand how it works, but my spirit does. 
My spirit sings when I do an endowment session at the temple and move from the Endowment Room into the Celestial Room.

So this morning I attended the Salt Lake Temple and was overcome once again with gratitude that I have a temple so close and can attend really any time I want. 

****

I came across this photo on the art gallery we use Instagram feed. It's a self-portrait Marty made in 1st grade and we had framed along with the rest of the kid art.
Isn't he the cutest thing you've ever seen?!



No comments: