Thursday, March 22, 2018

And Then I Sprained My Ankle Tripping Over the Dang Dog

Remember yesterday how it was sunny and happy and I was in an awesome exercise and healthy eating routine? 

Well today I went out on my jog early to beat the rain. But my headphones weren't working right and telling me when to walk or run. And my app kept playing the Christmas playlist instead of the regular one. Then just past the gates at the end of Walker Lane, BAM, I fell flat on the ground.

Kershaw had ran right in front of me and I went down. Both hands caught me push-up style, my nose inches from the ground. Didn't even stumble, just laid out flat. Dang Dog.

My ankle was hurting and my hands and knee were scraped. Fortunately, I was near the river where I could cross over and take the shortcut home. But the water was already running and my ankle wasn't stable so I had to trod across getting my feet soaked. Kershaw used his obedient dog senses to follow me home, because I sure wasn't calling him to follow. 

I hobbled home on the verge of tears and madder than heck and stuck him straight in his crate. Then I limped down to the gym to tell my sad story to Dan. Really, I was most mad that having a sprained ankle meant I couldn't exercise for a couple of weeks. I was so disappointed I wanted got cry. Reminded me of way back in 4th grade when I broke my ankle, and the doctor said I'd be missing several days of school. I started crying -- not because it hurt -- but because it meant I wouldn't get the 100% attendance record I was shooting for.

Nick had been using the magic ointment, "WinterCrest" for his stuffy nose, so I knew right where to find it. I slathered it all over my foot and then I kept off my foot for the rest of the morning. 

I had lunch plans with Jenny and Carol and when I tried to get ready, my foot couldn't bear any weight at all. I considered canceling, but who better to spend time with when you need love and sympathy than your longest best friends ever?

When I put my rainboot on, I could walk, albeit slowly and with a limp. But enough to get to lunch.
And it was a good decision because being with them was just the comfort I needed. 

I was able to stay off my foot for most of the rest of the day (except when the landscape architect came by). I kept my boot on for the rest of the day because it made a big difference having the support. And Kershaw stayed in his crate because I'm mad at him.

No comments: