Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Have I Done Any Good...

1st river. If you look closely,
the branches are encapsulated in ice.
I got farther than I expected on my Monday hike. On the way to the first river, it was harder than last week. I had to stop for breathers more often. My muscles felt more sluggish, and I figured it was from my full week of intense exercise and my body getting used to it again. But when I got to the river, I made it within the same amount of time as last week. Soooo... I'm thinking my pace was actually a little bit quicker, but that's why I felt more tired -- I was going faster than usual.

And when I got to the first river, I had energy to keep going. I'd brought my crampons just in case and was excited to see how well they helped. Also, with my new watch, I was curious about how far it was to the 2nd river and grove. (My own made-up names for milestones on the hike!)

2 miles to the 1st river. (When I'm in good shape, I make it in 45 min. Right now I'm at 60 min.) 

Right as you cross the 1st river, the trail gets snowy. A couple of older men were putting their crampons on too. I let them go first, but caught up pretty quick and passed them because Kershaw was annoyingly running in front of them and then in back of them back to me. 

Headed home.
I could tell where the shale slide started, and it's .5 miles past the river. Took me 30 min. to get there with all the snow and ice. The front part of my crampons didn't stay on so well, but the back part still gave me good grip. Another .25 to the 2nd stream and grove. 47 min. from the 1st stream.

Took 70 min. to get down. But I was slipping all around on the snow on the way down--holding onto the bush branches saved me a couple of times and didn't save me a couple more times -- went down flat on my bum twice. But I didn't get hurt. And it was pretty fun. It's helpful to know how far that grove is for my future hiking.

I did initiatories at the temple with a friend on Tuesday and had to wait over an hour for our turn! Kind of crazy. But peaceful.

This morning I woke up and helped get Nick off to school.  (Chris had left much earlier to finish an assignment). I love being with my kids in the morning before they head out the door. I love the harmony of being together while I make their lunches and Dan makes breakfast and the kids eat at the bar and the time we have all together before they leave. It's really important to me and such a nice way to start the morning. (Dan was out of town today. When he's out of town, they get cereal and yogurt.)

I read my scriptures and then... I went back to bed until 10:00 a.m. IT. WAS. AWESOME.

I delivered tulips to my friends I visit teach and a few others who needed something happy. Tulips make me happy and I assume they make everyone happy!

And then I took a long bike ride (15 miles but mostly flat). I'm figuring out the route from our new house and what traffic areas I want to avoid. Feels so good to get out and exercise doing the things I love on a regular basis. 

LOVE!

No comments: