Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Nesting

We've torn out our old closet shelving and added new wood shelves and drawers. 

We hauled everything out of our garage and down to the back porch while adding new flooring, storage cupboards and workbench, along with a fresh coat of paint.

I have made three trips to DI.

Courtney has boxed up her clothes, shoes and things needed for college. Other special items went in boxes to store here (Let's hope her little brothers don't ransack everything like my sisters did! Ha! Love you guys anyway!) and she has donated, tossed or sold everything else.

We are moving rooms around after she leaves -- Chris to Courtney's big room; Nick to Chris' loft room; and I create an office in Nick's room with a daybed for Courtney when she comes home from college.  So we have gone through books, toys and collections with a fine-tooth comb to toss or donate anything not used anymore.

I was awake at 4:30 a.m. today. Couldn't sleep thinking about all my pictures on my computer that needed to be organized. So got up and started organizing the good and deleting the bad.

It dawned on me that I'm nesting.  Not in anticipation of a new baby, but in anticipation of our changing life. I deal better with everything when I'm organized. Without consciously thinking about it, I've been getting rid of the clutter and putting everything in it's place so when we enter this new phase of Courtney going to college, missing her won't seem so overwhelming.

No comments: