Saturday, July 10, 2021

Eyes to See

This morning I read D&C 76 and pondered on the thought, "Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that he can make a lot more out of their lives than they can." (Ezra Taft Benson). 

I'm perfectly satisfied with the kingdom of glory I'm living in now. I really love my life.

But what if there's something more? 


I hesitate to ask God, "thy will be done" because I'm afraid I won't like what he wants me to do. 

That it will be hard or time-consuming. Or require change or giving up what I love.

Or something I don't want to spend my time doing.

If I'm happy, there's nothing that can really make me happier, is there?


So I'm not willing to ask, just in case I won't like the answer. 

Even if he promises it will be amazing. Greater than I can even imagine.

No thanks. I'm good where I'm at. 


***


A few minutes later, I went out to go for a bike ride and found a bird in the garage beating against the window trying to get out. 



I rushed to open the garage door next to him, but he didn't see the exit even though it was 
RIGHT THERE and continued fluttering against the window. 

I opened all three doors, but the door he was on was now moving, and in fear he flew 
to the back of the garage in a dark corner opposite the now wide-open exit.



I tried whistling and attracting him the best I knew how, but to no avail. 
And I couldn't wait all day. 
So I had to shut the doors, closing him back in. 

I was trying to free him, to let him out into the outdoors he could see through the window and was so desperately trying to get to. He was beating against the window, thinking that could take him where he wanted to go, but I could see clearly that wasn't the way.
I was trying to help him, opening as many doors as wide as I could, if only he could see.

How often do I do this in my life? 
"No Lord, not your way, my way. I know what I’m doing. I'm good. I'll figure it out."

And I beat against a closed window thinking if I just try hard enough, I'll get to wherever I'm going.
Not seeing the Lord has thrown open doors and windows of possibilities if I only choose to see.   

No comments: