Saturday, October 14, 2017

Studying

Did I ever mention that I got a "B" on my British Lit final and a B in the class? I feel really good about it! I decided not to sign up for another class yet because life is still pretty busy with house stuff.

And, with my new calling as Relief Society teacher, I have quite a bit of other studying to do... Studying for my lessons and also studying to learn to be a better teacher. So I made it a priority this week to spend all my extra time studying and reading the following: Teaching, No Greater Call cover-to-cover; Every Member a Missionary, by Clayton Christensen; "Teaching The Savior's Way"; the scriptures, of course; and beginning "Preach My Gospel." I also started "Sisters in My Gospel," but I didn't really love it.

Some things that jumped out at me specifically are to be more humble as I teach, (which, quite frankly, comes quite easily after a couple of lessons that I didn't feel that great about); initiate discussion so we can teach each other rather than me trying to "impart knowledge"; and be more prepared with a better closing and testimony.

One difficult obstacle is that I don't know the sisters that well since I'm new. But as I studied, I decided I needed to work harder to get to know everyone and even though it's a Relief Society class of many sisters, consider the class "my class" and do everything in my power to get to know everyone, learn about their strengths and gifts and love them. Fortunately Enrichment night was Tuesday, so I made it a priority to go to that and Saturday I hosted dinner group at our home, even though I considered taking a pass since we were new.

But I'm so glad I did both. It was a fun evening at enrichment getting to know some more people and enjoying the company of those I already know. And Saturday night dinner group was wonderful. Three married couples came, a single sister, an older woman who I met at Enrichment and invited, my friend whose husband was working that night, Aunt Marge and Dan and I. We had a lot of fun and several of us didn't know some of the others so we were all getting acquainted better.

The next day I taught and felt like my lesson was received much better. Lots of discussion and comments. I felt better about it and most of all felt like I'm making more friends in our ward.


No comments: