Tuesday, October 13, 2015

No Coincidences

This afternoon one of my errands was to buy more dowels for Chris to make more Harry Potter wands for Primary Children's Hospital. He made 40 with his scout troop last week. When he called Primary's to arrange a delivery time, he asked how many kids they had right now and how many wands they could use. She said they were thrilled to have 40, but right now had 100 kids. Chris was willing to make 60 more.

So I went to Michael's to buy the dowels. I had a coupon for 50% off ONE item. I thought maybe they'd give me 50% off the 20 dowels I wanted to buy (since they were only $1 each). But they wouldn't. Not even the manager. I had been thinking I should go to Home Depot where they would cut them for me, but I didn't want to make another trip. I had all the dowels and I was standing here at checkout at Michaels, I really should just buy them. But, I honestly think I was prompted to go to Home Depot. So I asked the Michael's lady to hold the dowels and I'd check Home Depot first. And I felt really good about that decision.

To go to Home Depot and see if I could buy dowels there and have them cut them to the right length. As if there is a right and wrong decision to go to Home Depot or Michaels.

At Home Depot I found what I needed and asked a young guy if he could cut them for me. "Let's do it!" he said. He asked me what they were for and I told him about Christopher's Eagle project and then he told me about his Eagle project when he was that age. We chatted about this and that and brainstormed about how to cut the dowels in a group instead of one-by-one and eventually he figured out a solution.

He was about done when he asked, "Are you LDS?"
"Yep, I am."
"I'm meeting with the missionaries," he said. "I'm trying to learn everything again. Are you solid?" he asked.
I replied, "I really am. I know Heavenly Father loves me. I know he answers my prayers. I'm so grateful to have a way to get guidance and help in my life."
He said, "I stopped going when I was about 16."
"So you got your Eagle and decided you were done?"
"Pretty much. But I want a wife and a family. I want more out of my life. I think I've always known it's true. It just seemed so complicated."
"When you have a family, you'll be so grateful to have prayer to help make decisions as a parent. It's been such a blessing in my life. Don't give up because you think you knew everything at 16. I've had a lifetime to learn, practice prayer and receive answers. I know it's true."

He finished cutting the last dowels and said, "It seems so complicated, but when I meet cool people like you who are 'solid,' it makes me think it's right."

"Pray about it." I said. "You'll know. It's not complicated."
"That's what they tell me. I will pray about it."

So pray for this sweet boy who is looking for answers. I know I was prompted to go to Home Depot and talk to him. And I love that he wasn't afraid to ask me questions.

Just one more confirmation that there are people out there who are ready.

Five minutes later I was walking into Target and truthfully, a little bit teary thinking about the sweet experience I'd just had. A friend of mine was in her car turning into the parking lot.

"I've been meaning to text you!" she said. "Thank you so much for making my daughter's baptism so beautiful. It was a wonderful day."

I love that part of my calling! I quickly told her about my Home Depot experience. "That wasn't a coincidence" she said. No, most definitely not.

Ponderize #1
Alma 13:27-29
 27 And now, my brethren, I wish from the inmost part of my heart, yea, with great anxiety even unto pain, that ye would hearken unto my words, and cast off your sins, and not procrastinate the day of your repentance;
 28 But that ye would humble yourselves before the Lord, and call on his holy name, and watch and pray continually, that ye may not be tempted above that which ye can bear, and thus be led by the Holy Spirit, becoming humble, meek, submissive, patient, full of love and all long-suffering;
 29 Having faith on the Lord; having a hope that ye shall receive eternal life; having the love of God always in your hearts, that ye may be lifted up at the last day and enter into his rest.

No comments: