Sunday, October 03, 2010

Thoughts From Conference

Originally written October 1, 2010 -- but never posted. Not sure why...
(Back in 2010, Courtney was a Sophomore in high school. Marty was in 7th grade. Chris in 4th and Nicholas was in Kindergarten.)

I started listening to conference Saturday morning in the car driving Marty to his Football game. I turned it on right as Elder Holland was talking about how women do so much service for each other. I'm sorry to say my first thought was that I get kind of tired of the talks about how women do all the work. Because it's obviously not entirely true and therefore seems a bit insincere.

And my next thought was sadness wondering if I'm getting cynical and could I possibly someday head down the slippery slope from cynicism to not believing? Because I love feeling the Spirit.

And in the next breath Pres. Holland referred to how grateful he was for the men -- the time they take in the Young Men's program and Scouting -- including 50 mile hikes and sleeping in snow caves to teach young boys life lessons. And the older men he knew who took turns spending long nights sitting with a dying friend. And to the teachers who prepare each week to teach the Gospel. And to the "helpers"--those who are always there helping in every capacity. And to the children who are learning and preparing to someday lead. And how grateful he was for all people who work to make the world a better place.

And my spirit was touched and I was overcome with the feeling of "knowing" and I tried to hide my tears so my teenage son didn't get annoyed. But like Elder Holland, I am so grateful.

So many times I've felt gratitude for all the people who work together to follow Christ through service. When I've been Primary President not a week went by that I wasn't full of gratitude for all the teachers who were committed to fulfilling their callings. For the teachers who teach and love my children and help to fill in all the gaps. The Young Women leaders that my daughter loves and the Scout leaders who relate to my sons. And often when I befriended the elderly women in my ward in Los Angeles, I knew that there were other women befriending my grandmas--filling in where I couldn't. And for all the people who make up my world--I am so grateful because its so rich and fulfilling because of the people in it.

And I am grateful to have the spirit as a constant companion.

No comments: