Monday, October 11, 2010

It Gets Better

Originally written October 2010. I think I was going to write more, but got interrupted. Maybe was going to end on a more positive note. But I think I'll leave as-is because that's real life. 

Last September my sister came to babysit while Dan and I celebrated our 40th birthdays! While we were relaxing, sleeping in, staying out late, dancing, singing, eating gourmet meals and laughing with friends, Bekah was getting up early, fixing breakfast and lunches, shuttling kids to and from school, playdates and sports practice, cleaning house, doing laundry, helping with homework, making dinner, washing dishes, inviting kids' friends over to play AND mommying her own three-year-old -- wiping little hands and faces, reading stories, squeezing in naptime, listening to giggles and whines, cutting up dinner into bite-sized pieces, potty-training, disciplining and cuddling.

All while being 8 months pregnant.

When we got home she said, "I don't know how you do it! Your life is crazy!"

"It's soooo much easier than it used to be!" was what I said. AND I don't have a 3-year-old and I'm not pregnant! That makes a BIG difference!

So today Sheree said, "Do you actually like Tuesdays?" And yes, I do like Tuesdays. I LOVE Tuesdays! I drive a lot, but tt's wonderful to drive around and spend time with your kids and their friends when I'm not buckling in a baby into the carseat or listening to anyone wail because they're STARVING, or be in a RUSH because if I'm not home at the exact moment a child goes down for a nap, the whole day will be ruined!

(The time I cried in Macy's because the lady helping me was SO inept-- asking 10 different people if I could return the tablecloth I JUST BOUGHT--and the 5 min. process ended up taking 40 minutes and was SO SLOW that my baby fell asleep in the stroller. And that meant no nap at home. And that meant my day was going to be a living HELL! And yes, I started crying right there in the store.)

I loved having babies and toddlers. But let's face it, it's hard work being a mom and each day getting yelled at, screamed at, or listening to sobbing because they're tired, hungry or strapped in a carseat all day and it's ALL YOUR FAULT.

I guess I will add a postscript from the future. (June 2019). I don't have people yelling or crying at me anymore, but I think sometimes they may be yelling and crying on the inside. And its no more easier to ignore. And I still worry that some things that I neglect to do/teach/say may end up with me feeling like their life choice is "all my fault." But they also say sorry and I say sorry and we work together to help each other. They also say, "What can I do to help?" And then they do it. Or I can ask them for a favor and they're happy to pitch in. And they say, "Thank you." And most importantly I get a lot more sleep now! 

No comments: