Monday, July 26, 2010

Thanks, Alice!

Christopher and Nicholas were pretty impressed the other day that I knew all the words to the opening song of
The Brady Bunch.
Is there anyone from my generation that doesn't?

We weren't even allowed to watch TV that wasn't PBS, and I still managed to furtively watch every episode and learn every word. Can you imagine who I might be today if I hadn't?

Well, Alice was talking about going out with Sam for the evening and I thought,
"Alice, how old are you?"
Of the 5 people I polled, each guessed late 50's or 60's.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Thanks to Wikipedia I was able to answer my questions...
The show originally aired from 1969 -1974 (when we watched throughout the 70's and 80's they were reruns in syndication) and Ann B. Davis (Alice) was born in 1926.
Which makes her 43 - 48 years old while entertaining viewers on The Brady Bunch.

I'm almost 40. And to quote my friend, Kathy, "Compared to Alice, we look like super-models!"
Thanks, Alice!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Back in the old days, women aged. I think Aunt Bea in the Andy Griffith's show was all of 50.
I'm the same age my mother was when I got married!
I think nowadays we dye our hair more, work out, wear "young clothes" and "young make-up."
Mother and grandmother roles are so different from what they once were.

Kathy said...

I made Jeff read your post - he laughed and agreed that we really are looking like super-models! Can you imagine if we had her hairdo?