Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Podcast and Grace Addiction

Last Saturday I listened to a wonderful podcast, "All In," interviewing Emily Belle Freeman. She discussed GRACE and was so eloquent and firm in her conviction that when we're falling short of where we want to be, if we ask God for his Mercy and Grace, he will help us. I am loving that we're talking more about Grace in the Church and becoming more aware that there's not a one-size-fits-all for what a Latter-day Saint looks like. And love, love, love is the answer.

First I listened to my regular "Don't Miss This" podcast last Monday on my walk. I was super excited because they discussed a scripture that had confused me in my reading on Sunday. 2 Nephi 7:10-11. It didn't make sense that if you fear the Lord (love Him) and obey His servants (follow the prophet) that you would "walk in darkness and hath no light." And verse 11: walking in the light of your fire and and in the sparks that you kindle, you'll lie down in sorrow. What was I missing? 

I did some research and discovered that "walking in the light of YOUR fire and SPARKS that YOU kindle" essentially is trying to live the Gospel on your own. Not bringing Christ into the equation. Creating your own ideal and following philosophies of men, for instance.

The Emily Freeman shared how she was confused too when she first read those scriptures and reiterated what I'd learned. Basically you do what you're supposed to do in the Church, but you're doing it to check the items on the list. Maybe even to have people notice what a good job you're doing, in DOING. A lot like the Sadducees and Pharisees. 

And suddenly I had an inspiration that this was a lot like those that "clung to the rod" and fell away, rather than those that "held fast to the rod and fell down and worshipped Christ." I thought how Nephi probably shared his experience of the Tree of Life often. That it was a familiar story that most people had heard first-hand. Maybe Jacob even had his own Tree of Life vision. So the Tree of Life understanding and these scriptures quoting Isaiah went hand in hand. And I was so amazed at my own insight, that I thought I should e-mail the show and tell them. But as that thought danced through my head, David Butler said, "It's a lot like the Tree of Life..." And I realized I wasn't the first one to make that discovery.

But I was impressed that I'd found insight through study and then had my own understanding without being told. I feel likes it's a blessing of really studying the Book of Mormon this year -- often re-reading same chapters throughout the week. Rather than simply reading to finish.

Later on Monday and Tuesday I listened to Jody Moore "Happy" interviewing Kurt Francom discussing "Can God Be Disappointed in You?" ("No" is the answer, by the way.) It was a wonderful podcast, also about GRACE. And how leaders in the Church don't have to be perfect. Nor does anyone else. He answered all the questions: "But if God loves us no matter what, will we stop trying to progress?" "What about God's wrath and anger described in so many scriptures?" "I get disappointed in my kids or other loved ones, so doesn't God feel the same way?" 

It was just non-stop inspirational listening. I gave a lesson on Grace in YW a few months back and used the example of babies learning to walk. When they fall, we don't get upset. They're just Babies! We are excited and encourage them to try again! We don't take it personally when they fall. We clap our hands even when they only take one step or two. I'm sure God does the same for us. He isn't mad or disappointed or sad. He knows we're human and learning and trying. When we fall, he is excited that we tried and encourages us to try again. I thought it was a brilliant analogy.

And guess what, at the end of his podcast he shares the exact same analogy. That made me a little annoyed because now if I ever share that, someone will think I copied him. And I didn't!!!

I liked his interview so much, I listened to his own podcast, "Leading Saints" and listened to him interview a therapist, Tony Overbay, and discuss "Unhealthy Ways We Seek Validation." Again related to leading in the Church, "Mr. Nice-guy," setting goals vs. setting your values, our identity (think Identity Pact from Becoming Indestractible), and circling back to the first podcast I listened to, getting away from a check list inspired Gospel vs. a Christ-centered Gospel.

I have loved listening to podcasts on my walk or driving in the car. I'm hearing so many inspiring things that I wish I could write down and remember once the podcast ends. I might be taking notes the entire podcast. However, I think I'm not going to worry about remembering all the details. Instead I'm going to let the truths that I'm hearing saturate my spirit and enjoy the powerful feelings of love and inspiration.

1 comment:

LifeOfARealMom said...

I love this post! Thank you for sharing these podcasts, some of which I have listened to also and some that I have NOT but will now. I appreciate you sharing your unedited feelings and testimony. I love the title and the final sentence! It is all great!