Thursday, February 13, 2020

Hawaiian Valentine's Surprise

Dan told me on Wednesday he got me a Valentine's gift. 
Super thoughtful especially since going to Hawaii was our gift.

We were so excited to have Marty and Lizzie join us on our trip.
Last summer when we started planning it, Nick was bummed to just be going with his parents.
We invited Michelle and Brent and fam, but they were busy.
We told Nick to invite a friend, but he didn't want to.
Then Marty said he could miss two days of classes and would love to come. Yay!

Funny story... probably around October when Marty and Lizzie had only been dating for a month but he really, really liked her, we talked about having Lizzie come if they were still dating.
Marty loved that idea, but didn't want to "scare her off" 
by inviting her on a family trip so far in the future.
"No worries," says Dan. "I'll book her a ticket using miles. If you break up, we can easily cancel.
She'll never even know!"

Except that when he booked the ticket, he inadvertently included her e-mail address 
and she was forwarded an itinerary of a Hawaii trip 
with Marty's family four months in the future!

She just laughed and we loved her for her good humor over the whole thing!

Aloha!


When we arrived, Dan said to me,
"Go downstairs and see your Valentine's present."
I went down and looked around.
I wasn't even sure what to look for... jewelry? flowers? 
There was an orchid in the middle of the table, but that's usually there.
The groceries were already purchased. That was a great gift. 
But not a surprise because we ordered them together. 

I put my bag down on a chair and went back upstairs where everyone was unloading the luggage.
"I wasn't sure what I was looking for. I saw the groceries. That was a good gift!"
"No, it's not groceries." Dan walked with me down the stairs.
(Now looking back, I didn't look in the bedroom where Dan and I usually stay because that's where Lizzie was going to sleep. So I thought whatever I was looking for must be in the kitchen area.)

Dan turned me around from scanning the kitchen toward the bedroom, and here's who I saw:





Best. Valentine's. Gift. Ever.


Originally Marty was really pushing her to come. 
"Please come! It will be so fun with Michael and Lizzie both there too!"
But the flight is so long, Michael is in a new job, Courtney is so busy with school, 
it just hadn't seemed possible. 
But two weeks ago Courtney had started to feel bummed that they weren't coming.
And they realized they could figure it out and called Dan to see if he could help them work it out.
And keep it a surprise. 

Best. Surprise. Ever.

Late night munchies at the bar getting caught up.

And away but not forgotten...



No comments: