Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Distress

 Oh man, I can't breathe. 
I don't feel sick, but I started coughing yesterday 
and this morning I couldn't breathe well at all.

I have a peak flow meter which is just a simple device you blow air into and see how 
high you can get the meter. Similar to a tire gauge.
A year ago I was at 360.
Over the year I've dropped to 310. 50 points. It's noticeable.
Today I was at 240 -- 50 points in one day... wheezing when I walked and talked.
It made me pretty nervous so I called my doctor.

He was nervous listening to me.

He prescribed a nebulizer which was a bit of a process to get it, but I was motivated.
Needing to breathe is a great motivator.
I had to drive to the U to get the prescription. 
Then to IMC to get the nebulizer.
Then to Walgreens to get the saline solution prescription.
I'm to call him back on Thursday to report how I'm doing. Unless of course it gets worse.

My lungs don't feel congested at all. 
But I'm wheezing, coughing and clearing with nearly every breath. 

I feel distressed.

At the supply store when I wheezed my way to saying I needed a nebulizer,
the technician laughed and said, "I can tell!"

My peak flow didn't change after the treatment and I'm not sure I feel that different.
But I can lay flat to sleep without choking. That's an improvement.

An excuse to watch Call the Midwife!
I'd like to say tomorrow I'm going to rest and recover. 
But I'm in charge of the Young Women's combined activity --
Jeopardy with the new bishopric.
Mostly its typing up their responses to "get to know you" questions.
I feel very grateful because any computer work isn't too overwhelming to me.

I've also got to get the program done for Nicholas' Eagle Court of Honor on Sunday.
And write a talk. I'm speaking in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday.
I hope I get my voice back soon!

No comments: